Chapter 16

I closed my eyes tighter as the pitter-patter sounds of the rain hitting the window filled my ears

I closed my eyes tighter as the pitter-patter sounds of the rain hitting the window filled my ears. Like that wasn't bad enough. Thunder and a tremendous gust of wind accompanied the rain, making me jolt every time thunder boomed in the sky.

I hated the rain.

I hated the memories it triggered, especially when the rain was heavy like this. Memories of me being in a car with Gianna next to me.

"What are you doing, Gianna? You're gonna get us into an accident," I shouted as I tried to regain control of the steering wheel. "Gianna!" I screamed again when she didn't listen.

"I'm sorry, Elle," she whimpered, but it was too late. The car had collided with a tree.

I jolted out of bed, heaving. The memories felt more realistic every passing day.

I remembered nothing from the accident I supposedly caused on purpose. Something to do with trauma. According to the doctors, my brain had wiped that part of my memories away. It was its way of healing after being in a coma for days.

My parents didn't believe that I genuinely didn't remember the events of that night. Everyone thought I was hiding the truth. My mother looked me in the eye when she called me a liar and a murderer for taking her precious daughter away from her.

As weeks passed after my surgery, I stopped telling people I didn't remember. I just took their judging stares and insults. I had been in a world of my own back then. A world of chaos, self-hatred, and self-doubt.

Deep down, I knew I'd never do anything to hurt Gianna on purpose, but my parents made it sound like I caused the accident on purpose because I was jealous of her. That was the story my mother passed to everyone, anyway.

The light from the bathroom seeped into the otherwise dark room, making me frown. I was sure I turned the lights off.

Did Nicholas come in while my memories dragged into a trance? It had to be. I slid out of bed, my feet pressing against the cold marble floors as I made my way to the bathroom.

I pressed my ear against the closed door, listening for any sound from inside the bathroom.

"What she doesn't know won't kill her," Nicholas said, and I guessed he was on the phone with someone. "It's not Rossi business." Another pause. "Switch locations, and I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I let him hang up before opening the bathroom door. Nicholas looked visibly shocked when I walked into the bathroom.

"What are you hiding from me?"

"It's none of your business," he replied when he'd successfully banked down his surprise.

"I think it is. Why else would you say what you did to whoever was on the phone?"

"I was talking to Matteo about Family business, and if you don't want to be an accomplice in the future, walk away."

I remained rooted to my spot, arching a brow at him. "I'm still here. What's going on?"

"For fuck's sake, Giselle, listen for once in your life."

I crossed my arms. "I don't know what you're talking about, Nicholas. I've been listening to people all my life. That's the only reason I'm married to you, remember?"

He ditched his shirt, exposing his toned chest and abs. My mouth watered at the sight, but I showed no visible reaction. "I've got nothing to say to you, and except you want to get an eyeful of my cock when I take a shower, leave."

He unbuckled his belt with his eyes boring into mine, like he was challenging me to stay.

Warning bells danced in my head, chanting at me to leave, but my feet refused to cooperate with my brain. I stood through him unbuttoning and unzipping his pants. I wanted to see how far he'd take this.

It probably wasn't smart to challenge him this way, but I was doing it anyway.

He stepped out of his pants, leaving him in just his briefs.

I gulped at the sheer size of him in his briefs. I couldn't see him through his underwear, but I could tell he was long and thick. He didn't even have a hard-on now, and it was obvious.

He hooked his thumbs in his underwear, cocking a brow at me. "Giselle?"

I swallowed, fighting to get my thoughts back on track. "I'm not leaving until I get an answer."

As he slid his underwear off, I had a feeling things would not end well for either of us, but it was too late to turn around now.

*