Chapter 20: Familiar Forest

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!

The academy bells rang, signalling the end of the day. The sounds of chatter filled the halls of Kuoh Academy as students started making their way off campus.

But while most students made their way home, there were some who made their way in the opposite direction.

Sitting behind her desk, Sona proceeded to go through her weekly dose of paperwork.

Her queen and assistant, Tsubaki Shinra, stood by her side, organising the stack of paperwork on the desk. Passing only the most important matters onto Sona while handling the other, more menial paperwork, herself.

A knock was soon heard on the door." Come in." Sona replied, not even so much as interested to see who it was since she already knew.

The door opens and the rest of her peerage members enter the room. Saji was the first to speak as he stood in front." You called for us, president?" He inquired.

Despite his posture of assertiveness, he was quite anxious. Being the servant of a devil princess was tolerable so long as you knew how to behave yourself in your master's presence.

But for him, behaving was anything but easy. Specifically because he had feelings for the devil princess. Devils, being bound to follow their own dark desires and dragons being creatures of emotion and instinct, made it very hard for the blond to keep himself in check.

"Indeed I did. It's high time you started looking for a familiar. The portal to the familiar dimension opens once a month for a period of three days. That also happens to be tonight. You will accompany me and Tsubaki to go look for one. We'll depart at sun set.

The rest of you are to continue with your contracts. We just received another influx of the regulars so you'll all be busy until atleast midnight. You can select a contract from the pile me and Tsubaki sorted. That will be all." Sona finished.

Each of her peerage members, Tsubaki excluded nodded with a, " Yes, president!" Before proceeding to the edge of the table to go through the available contracts.

Saji, on the other hand, looked somewhat confused for a moment. Scratching the back of his head, he decided to voice his curiosity." Ah, president, what is a familiar?" He inquired.

Sona turned her gaze first to the confused boy, before looking to one of her bishops. A girl with long white hair and blue eyes." Momo, didn't I ask of you to inform Saji of the basics regarding devil-life? Why isn't he informed about familiars?" She inquired with narrowed eyes.

Momo's eyes widened in surprise as she turned to her master." Apologies president. I did inform him regarding the necessities, duties and responsibilities of the everyday devil's life. It's just..." A blush made its way onto her face as she turned her gaze downward. Her fingers starting to play with one-another from the sudden embarrassment.

"We kind of got side tracked before I could reach the part with the familiars." Momo stated. Sona looked over the eighteen year old girl and examined her from head to toe.

The blush and embarrassed demeanor. The fidgeting fingers followed with the aura if attraction. A small smirk flashed over Sona's face.' It would appear someone's fallen in love.' She thought.

"Nevermind. Saji, a familiar is a spirit. A creature that devils and other supernatul creatures make pacts with to assist us in our endeavors. They aid us in battle, research and carrying out our contracts.

Familiars, in turn for their servitude, feed off of our spiritual power. Allowing them to grow and mature. Some even evolve if their master becomes powerful enough.