CHAPTER THREE

Monday, April 24, 2016.
Tech Geniuses
10 weeks...

The first thing Trey did upon his return from the business conference—one he'd had no intention of attending before—was call his personal assistant and grill him on work. . .and on his soon-to-be ex-wife.

He had been surprised to hear that Alexandra still came to work despite everything. But that made it easier to give her the divorce papers he'd filed for.

He didn't understand the point of cheating when she could've just told him she didn't want him anymore. Given, he would've groveled, but if that's what she truly wanted, he would let her go. Was that not the point of love? Letting them go if that's what it took to make them happy?

And to know she came today was just what he needed. He told his assistant he was free to go and got lost in his thoughts. Should he beg her? Ask her why she'd cheated? He needed closure of some sort after all.

He was still deep in thought when Melissa walked in, looking like she owned the place. She cleaned up nice though, he'd give her that. She was a designer after all.

"It's you," he mumbled drily, praying she wasn't here to chew his ears off or speak for her best friend—if she had been told of what had transpired, that is.

"You don't sound very happy. Too bad though I'm not going anywhere, and that's no way to greet your sister," she said sweetly, tossing an expensive—looking bag into the couch and coming to sit in front of him. She pulled her sunglasses off, raised her booted feet, and set them atop his desk.

"Step sister," he corrected grimly, eyeing her feet on his desk.

"Whatever. Only you would treat me like this though you're the first I came to see upon returning from my trip," she mumbled, scowling at him. A tiny smile found its way onto Trey's lips. "Something's different."

"What is?" he asked.

She shrugged lightly. "Well, usually, I meet your wife here and I was hoping I'd see her here today," she said. "It's been a few weeks since I left, and I've missed her. Where's she?"

"If you miss her, then go look for her. You know where to find her," he said in a quiet voice, his smile having fallen off. He clenched his jaw and wondered how Melissa hadn't heard of the scandal yet. Or was she playing him?

She frowned, then sat up, pulling her feet off the desk. "What's going on Trey? Is something wrong?"

"Ask her when you see her," he said, lifting his head to glare at her. Melissa ignored him, of course, and called his assistant in. "Don't yell at him. He's my assistant, not yours," he growled. She ignored him and called again.

Gale, his assistant, appeared a moment later. "Ms. Crawford? You called me."

"Gale, please call in his wife for me," she requested. Gale's eyes flew to Trey's, wondering if he was okay with this. He didn't want to lose his job over a misunderstanding. 

However, his boss was busy glaring at his sister. He found himself shifting from foot to foot anxiously as they continued arguing, wishing he could be anywhere but there.

"I don't want her here," Trey hissed at Melissa.

"Well I do. I don't care what your problem is, I want to see my friend," she shot back stubbornly and ordered Gale off—he was more than happy to leave. "What did you do?" Melissa asked him once Gale was out.

"Why me or what I did?" He sighed. "But if you must know, I kicked her out," he answered simply, returning to the stack of files on his desk.

"You did what?" she whispered disbelief.