CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Friday, July 29, 2016

Tech Geniuses

Valerie had been revived, and Melissa was back in her seat, snickering. She wanted to know what her mom had done that was so bad that the thought of it being exposed had her fainting.

The live broadcast had been paused and her brother had also used that time to make sure Lexi was okay. And right now, Trey had taken back his seat while Alexandra sat all cuddled up on his lap.

It reminded Melissa of all the times he'd allowed her on his lap because she was scared of something. Despite the fact that by then they weren't staying with her mom and Andrew, she had been the happiest she'd ever been.

Well. . . until Devante showed up and took Trey's spot as her comforter.

Melissa thought about whether she wanted him in her life again or whether she wanted nothing to do with him. Both good and not necessarily bad things had come out of their relationship.

For example, he had taught her how to cook and had given her self-defense lessons—something which had come in handy a few minutes ago. She wondered if he would see her on TV, and if he would be proud of her.

She shook her head, clearing her line of thoughts to find Alexandra looking back at her. She mouthed 'Are you okay?' and Melissa winked in response. Alexandra got the memo and smiled, turning back to Trey. Then she was getting up for Trey to vacate the seat and leave it free for her to occupy.

"Sir," Gale called out from the back. When Trey lifted his head in response, he began counting down. "Three, two... Go."

"I apologize for the delay. We had a minor inconvenience to deal with," Trey muttered, rubbing his brows. "Like I had said, the last thing we want to do for today is talk about my stepmother."

Trey bit his lip, pacing. "I had questioned as a young man why my parents were splitting, and then before I knew it, she and her daughter were being added to our family."

He leaned down, his hands splayed on the table to hold himself up. "I was angry. . . and sad that my mom got kicked out, while someone else—together with her daughter—was accepted into it, and as a result, I stayed away from them both.

"That was until I realized the little girl was suffering a lot under her mother's care." Alexandra took his hand, squeezing. He gave her a grateful smile and continued. "Valerie claimed her husband was a wreck and that was why she'd left him. But the way Melissa spoke about him... It made me wonder if it was a lie."

He straightened and Alexandra let go, bringing her hand onto her lap. Trey pulled out the remote and played the first video without preamble. He hated himself for not preparing Melissa for it, but it had to be done.

'What do you think you're doing?' a pregnant Valerie snapped at the man opposite her.

'Dishing some food for myself.' The man sounded so confused it came out as a question instead of a statement.

'I didn't make food for you, Jansen,' she sneered, snatching the plate from him. 'It's mine and mine only.'

'So, now I don't get to eat even if I give you the money to make the food?' he asked calmly.

'No,' she responded sharply, eyeballing him. 'That is what you get for impregnating me. Get lost!' When he still stood there, she dished a ladle full of hot stew and poured it on his chest.

'F**k!' he hissed, pulling his shirt off him.

'Do you want more or are you going to leave?' After looking at her for a moment, he left soundlessly.