CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Sunday, June 19th, 2016

London Heathrow Airport

19 weeks...

"Melissa," Mitch called out. She turned, then scowled upon realizing it was him. She came over anyway.

"What?"

"We need to talk to you before Alexandra gets back from the washroom," he said.

She took off her sunglasses. "What about?"

Trey and Mitch shared a look, but Trey was the one who spoke. "We think Alexandra and the babies might be in danger."

"What?" she whispered, looking from Trey to Mitch. "Is this a joke?"

Trey pinned her with a hard stare. "You think I wish my wife and unborn children were not safe?" he questioned in a hard voice. "This is the farthest a pregnancy has lasted for us, and you know it. Stop talking like I don't care about her," he added.

"I thought you didn't. Honestly. Because if you did, you wouldn't kick her out. You wouldn't humor my mother and show off Nicolysse in front of her," she hissed.

Trey closed his eyes and turned away, leaning against his car. He was sure all he'd done would stay on his mind for good, haunting him from time to time.

Reminding him of what he'd almost lost. 

"Okay. You both can do this later," Mitch said, intervening. "We believe Ethan broke into the house—"

"I already know that," she cut off.

"And you didn't say?" Mitch said while Trey lifted an eyebrow in question. Melissa shrugged, crossing her arms under her breasts. With a headshake, he went on.

"He's obsessed with your best friend, and he'll do anything to have her—he has begun already. And this is where your help is needed."

"I'm not following," she muttered, frowning.

Trey was the one who replied this time. "The only logical reason I can think of that would make her look as shook as she did after their dance is if he threatened her with some blackmail material he has."

"But she refused to tell me—for obvious reasons. We need to know what he told her or what he's holding over her, then we can help her from there."

Melissa bit her lip. "But I can't just betray her confidence like that."

"Here she comes," Mitch said when he saw Alexandra walking towards them. "Come over to Trey's when you can. We'll tell you what we know in detail. For now, take her home to get some rest." 

"Sure," she murmured with a brief smile, trying not to show how worried she really was. She didn't want to worry Lexi.

"And Melissa?" She looked up at him. "Be careful."

*

Trey's Security Base

Melissa followed the men into Trey's security base, where Billy came forth to greet and welcome them. Though she was clearly amazed, she kept herself in check, speaking only when absolutely necessary.

Billy greeted the men with their names, before moving his attention to the new person. He knew who she was but awaited a formal introduction.

"This is Melissa Crawford, my sister," Trey began, "and that is my Chief of Security—Lieutenant General William Armstrong."