CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

Tuesday, October 18, 2016
T

he main house...

"Maya," Trey called out as all four of them settled in the couches. They all looked relaxed, giving off the idea that nothing was wrong.

"Boss?" she said upon appearing. Trey's finger twitched a little but otherwise he was relaxed.

He turned his head in her direction and smiled a little, looking every bit a worried man trying to be polite. "Please give us five bottles of water."

"Okay."

She disappeared and Trey shared a wry grin with Mitch who was shaking his head. She returned before long and served them the waters, hurrying to leave after she'd placed the extra one on the coffee table.

It was almost as if she could sense the trouble looming.

Trey wouldn't blame her even if he could, because Billy and Jason, though relaxed, looked like wickedness personified. Their smiles were evil and creepy instead of normal.

And though he wasn't sure what he looked like himself, Trey was sure he didn't look entirely clueless either.

"Maya," he called, pushing back a smile when she flinched and stopped. "Sit with us for a moment. It's been a while since we chatted with you."

He saw the crease in her forehead. Obviously, she didn't know this was a thing he often did with the real Maya—a checkup. "I'm very busy, boss —"

"I insist," he cut in with what he hoped was a warm smile. Though hesitant, she sat down on a single couch, completing the circle.

The plan had been quite simple and straightforward. Since Lexi's location was botched because the device wasn't working well just as Trey had suspected it wouldn't, they had just one more option.

That was to question her—make up things that might be half true or complete lies, and based on her answers, let her know for sure that they've caught on. "How is your husband?" Trey asked, watching from the corner of his eye as Jason sat up and reached for a bottle of water.

He saw 'Maya' clutch her dress in her hands, the slight twitch in her eye being the only give away as to the fact that she didn't know what to say. So he decided to 'help' her. "Last we spoke, you mentioned he was sick and I gave you some money to move him into a nursing home."

"Yes," she murmured, looking slightly relieved. She completely missed the smirks that passed around.

"So how is he?"

"Still being monitored," she responded carefully, looking down to affect sadness. Trey caught Jason's eye and was sure they were thinking the same thing; she knew how to act. And she had chosen a safe answer on the spot. "I had planned on checking in on him today but I lost track of time."

"I see," Trey said with a sigh, drinking out of his bottle.

"What of your daughter—Miranda?" Jason chipped in, winking. He sounded every bit a playboy. "Man, I miss her. I remember how —"

Mitch smacked his head, saying, "You're married now you idiot. Leave poor old Rain alone." He smiled apologetically at 'Maya' and Trey was amused about the fact that they were equally good actors.

"Rain is—she's fine. I haven't heard from her in a while but she was okay the last time we spoke," she answered, her confidence level rising with each word.

Mitch set his water bottle down and stood, walking towards the back of her couch with hands deep in his pockets. "You remember when I was younger and Jace and I used to come around? We always ended up making a mess."