CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Wednesday, June 28, 2016
Tech Geniuses

21 weeks...

Alexandra swallowed nervously as she looked at the towering building from the window of her car.

Tech Geniuses.

Just looking at the imposing building made her shudder with unease. She wondered if Trey had intentionally had it constructed that way to scare and make an impression on people.

Gale had sent her a message, saying that he needed her presence at the office to relay very important information. Apparently, he didn't think it was safe to do it over the phone, so here she was.

Still in the car.

Making zero attempts to open the door.

Much less step out.

She took a deep breath and opened her door before she could chicken out, and Samuel was out of the driver's seat and at her side by the time she had finished unbuckling her seat belt.

She rolled her eyes but accepted his hand anyway. Once she stood on the pavement, he closed the door and turned to her, hands clasped before him. "Would you like me to wait or come back later?"

She was quiet for a bit. "Did you drive Trey to work today?"

"No. He drove himself, leaving me available for you in case you needed to go anywhere."

She blew out an annoyed breath. "I'll come with him then."

With a salute and hint of a smile on his lips, he rounded the car's hood to the driver's side. She watched him drive away then took a deep breath before turning to her doom.

Okay, maybe that was a little dramatic, but the point was, she didn't want to be back in there. Then she looked down at herself. She hadn't bothered to put on a dress that hid her pregnancy and she felt stupid. What if she met up with paparazzi?

She went towards the door hurriedly, keeping her face down till she reached the door. A hand appeared in her line of view blocking her entrance, and she looked up to find Jasper—a security detail of her husband's—looking down at her.

His lips twitched as he pressed his lips together, trying to hide his smile.

"Sneaking into the office?" he teased. She narrowed her eyes at him and huffed. He replied with a full-blown smile. "Just need to know if you are allowed in here."

She tapped him on the shoulder. "Yes, and I'm here upon invitation."

"Okay," he muttered. "But at least hold your head high. Don't give the gossips anything to talk about," his eyes fell down to her bump, "—well except that one. You couldn't stop tongues wagging if you tried. Congrats anyway."

"Thank you."

He stepped back and opened the door for her, wishing her all the best. She nodded and stepped into the building, making a beeline for the elevator. She could feel eyes on her and that spurred her on to be quicker.

She entered the elevator, hoping no one would join her. No one did and it closed on her. She closed her eyes after punching Trey's floor, and took a deep breath to calm herself.

The elevator stopped, and she opened her eyes, confusion marring her face as that was not the right floor. She got her answer when the door slid open to reveal Jason. In the flesh. With coffee to his lips.

"Jason?"

He looked down as if now noticing the elevator was open. His eyes lit up with joy though she saw a little surprise. The door began closing but he hurried through, letting out a deep breath when he made it. "Alexandra."