CHAPTER TEN

Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Trey's House
14 weeks....

Mitchell rang the doorbell and stood back, waiting for a response. While waiting, he let his mind wander, thinking mostly about the past when he, Trey and Jason had been inseparable.

Till Nicolysse came along.

Ruining everything.

Jason and Trey had recovered quickly and fast become friends like they had been before, but he was still a bit distant from them. Nicolysse had nearly ruined his chances at having Samantha as his girlfriend.

Nicolysse had done a lot, including physically hurting Sam for reasons unknown to him till date. It felt like Nicolysse had always liked him but had gone to Trey because of his abundant wealth.

It had been a known fact that of the three of them, Trey was the richest. So, it was a no-brainer that a money-hungry girl like Nicolysse would go after Trey even though she didn't really love him.

And that had been the root of all their subsequent arguments.

Trey had actually liked Nicolysse and didn't like the fact that Mitchell was against his relationship with her.

Mitchell noticed with a jolt that the door still hadn't been answered so he did the coded 'two knocks, one bell ring' and waited once more. In a minute or less, Maya appeared at the door, a smile taking over her features when she saw who it was.

"Mitchell!" She hugged him tight. "It's so good to see you here after a long time." She stepped back, opening the door wider. "Come in, come in."

"Thank you," he replied with a smile, stepping over the threshold and into the house. He scanned his immediate surroundings. "Is Trey around?"

"Oh yes. He's in his office working. Make yourself comfortable. I'll get him to come down." She walked past him towards the stairs.

He took off his shoes, leaving on his socks, and slipped his feet into crocs before heading towards the kitchen to brew himself some coffee. Some minutes later, he heard the unmistakable voice of his old friend behind him.

"Making yourself at home I see," Trey stated casually, sounding bemused.

"Who else would do a thing like this if Jason or I don't?" Mitchell tossed back.

Trey let out a laugh, coming to lean against the kitchen door frame. "Good to see you mate. Been a while."

"Yeah..." He trailed off, focusing on finishing the coffee. "Took me some time to get over the Nicolysse thing. But I'm here because you need me." He finished the coffee and poured it into a mug, giving his full attention to Trey.

Trey nodded somberly. "How are Sam and the baby?"

"They're good. They're good," he nodded, setting the mug down on the kitchen island. "Had to make her an appointment at the hospital because her waitressing job wasn't letting her have enough money to go to the hospital anytime she liked. Drives me crazy, that one."

"No shit."

"As if I didn't know that the money she makes isn't enough. She could've just asked me for money," he lamented making Trey laugh. 

"Girls have their pride too, you know."

"Lexi?"

"Yeah," he responded shortly, turning away. "Look I'm... I'm sorry about the whole Nicolysse thing."

"If you really are, why are you back with her?" he asked, looking him straight in the eye.

"It's not like that. She's just my date for the wedding—lost a bet," Trey responded, rubbing the back of his neck.