CHAPTER TWENTY

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Trey's House

They sat up straighter when after a few minutes they heard footsteps come down the stairs, the owners speaking in hushed voices. Evelyn appeared first, and they stopped murmuring as soon as they came into view.

"This is my husband, Christopher," Evelyn said as she neared them, her husband following closely. He was tall, much taller than both of them. He was probably 6'4 or 6'5, Trey thought, and could easily overpower them—if they didn't have the fighting skills they did.

Out of respect, they both stood off the couch to greet him, each introducing themselves as they shook his hand. He wasn't a cold looking man. He looked very accommodating actually—more so than his wife.

"Please, sit," he said, wrapping his arm around Evelyn's shoulders when she came to sit next to him after setting up the camera.

"We're very sorry to come visiting at this time of the day," Trey began, looking sincerely bothered. Mitchell had insisted they do this in the dark, so, here he was.

Chris waved it off, pulling his wife a little bit closer. "Evie told me you wanted to talk to her about something?"

"That is correct," Trey agreed, looking to Mitchell for him to continue.

Mitchell gave a tight smile. "Evelyn, this might be a little troubling for you, and we're not aiming at rehashing the past, but it's quite important that we know."

"What's going on?" Evelyn asked with a brow raised.

"It's about your father," Trey stated, going straight to the point. "He's out of prison and we need to find him."

There was a two second pause before Evelyn burst out laughing. All three men turned to look at her, wondering exactly why she was laughing. "And I thought I was the one going crazy," she muttered, wiping at her eyes.

Chris rolled his eyes with a small smile as realization hit, while the other two men sat, still trying to figure out what was going on. "What do you mean by that?" Mitchell asked finally.

"Evie had told me that she had seen her father a couple of times these past few months and I thought she was seeing things," Chris explained while Evelyn went to turn off the camera, admitting to herself that Mitchell had been right.

Trey shared a look with Mitchell which had Chris trying to explain himself. "In my defense, he was gone whenever I turned and was supposed to be locked away. It's kind of relieving, I guess, knowing my wife isn't going crazy and that her father is actually out."

Trey wasn't judging. He'd been there. He hadn't trusted his wife enough to listen to what she had to say, and he was paying for it.

"Of course, it's relieving," Evelyn confirmed as she sat back down, sagging against Chris. "But why is he out? Last I heard, he was supposed to be in jail for life."

"That is where I come in," Trey muttered. "I'm sure by now you know of the scandal my wife supposedly caused?"

"Yes," Evelyn responded while Chris merely nodded. 

"Ethan Donovan was behind it all," Trey began. "He had the video doctored so that I would divorce my wife and he could coerce her into giving him part of her share of my assets. Then he released your father and is using him to do his dirty work."

Chris whistled. "He's got goals. Man knows what he's doing." Evelyn glared at him as if to say 'be serious', then turned back to Trey.

"How do you know my father is working for him?"