CHAPTER FIFTY

Monday, October 17, 2016
T

rey's Security Base

9:15 pm....

"What's up mate?" Jason greeted, shaking Trey's hand and placing his hands on his hips right after.

"Nothing much," Trey responded, lifting a hand to signal Billy over to them. Then he faced Jason. "Apparently, they're still moving. So we will have to wait and see. But Billy is saying there are glitches in the network so who knows," he ended with a shrug.

"He's smart," Jason said, "and I doubt he'll make it easy for you to catch him again this time. He'll probably account for the likelihood of Alexandra being tracked but I'm told they painted quite a clueless scene."

"Still..." Trey trailed off, pulling Jason along so they could catch up with Billy. When they did, he said, "Let's go to your office and talk."

"Of course."

Once inside, with the door closed, they each settled in seats and Trey continued with what he had been about to say. "I don't want to sound paranoid, but it's strange how he texted her after I had left the house. It's like he knew I wasn't available, and took advantage of that because Lexi would jump at any opportunity to see the kids."

"I know," Billy murmured, nodding. "I think I still suspect her as an insider."

Having been informed of their suspicions, Jason understood immediately who they were referring to. "But she has been working here for years and views Trey as something of a son. I highly doubt she would go against him just like that."

"Well, I doubt it too," Billy said, smiling a little. "But we don't think it's actually her."

"You think someone else is impersonating her?" Jason asked.

Instead of giving him a direct answer, Trey replied, "Think about it. The Maya we know is not afraid to scold us when we mistakenly bring our dirty shoes in; she sometimes throws a mop at us to undo our damage.

"This one smiles and shows so much teeth that it's creepy, and waves it off as okay. When it first happened, I wondered if she had hit her head or was at her limit," Trey said.

"True," Jason agreed. "I think I can count a few times where instead of scolding me for carrying Sierra around like a caveman when we argue, she smiled cheerily and continued her work."

Trey smiled. "So you do realize it. Maya cares very deeply when it comes to us three and our families, and I remember the look of disappointment in her eyes when I had kicked Lexi out.

"When the call had come considering Lexi's whereabouts, she had been willing to risk her job. But the Maya that had been around when Lexi came to get the rest of the things refused to let her in. The Maya I know would have allowed her in, then chewed my ears off if I tried to make a fuss about it.

"Since the babies got missing, I haven't seen any sad reaction, nor did me shouting about Lexi being missing shake her in any way. The Maya I know would have cried and hounded me not to rest till I found them."

He paused for a breath. "She also doesn't know how to address me. When Maya wants to be professional, she calls me sir or Mr. Robinson—never 'boss' like this one does. I don't think we're dealing with the real Maya in this house, and maybe that's how he has known some of our moves in advance."

"And also probably how he got cameras in here," Billy chimed in. "She has access to all areas of the house, doesn't she?"

"She does," Trey answered, "but even she doesn't know about the base."