CHAPTER FOUR

*Unedited*

Monday, April 24, 2016
Tech Geniuses
10 weeks...

Outside his office, Melissa linked her arm through Lexi's and guided her silently towards the private elevator. But she refused to use that one, as it held too many memories in there for her—not that she was going to tell Melissa that. She didn't need any more pity.

Once the doors of the employee elevator closed on them, Melissa turned to face Lexi. "He doesn't know you're pregnant, does he?" she asked.

"I thought it was quite obvious," Lexi replied, sounding hoarse from all the crying. "I hadn't gotten the chance to tell him, honestly."

"So what are you going to do?" Melissa questioned softly, searching Lexi's eyes for something that would give away what she was thinking, but they remained emotionless.

"Move out of the house and the apartment, but other than that, I don't know," she replied quietly. She couldn't find another place in such a short time. It was impossible—unless she had a treasure trove.

But what if Trey decided to take back all the money he'd been depositing? Money she had never really used?

This was really getting complicated, and fast. Why was she even depending on his money when she could go for hers? No, nothing from the people who'd shunned her, then died, leaving her all alone.

"You could stay with me—be my roommate again till you decide what to do," Melissa suggested with a tentative smile. When Alexandra opened her mouth to speak, Melissa placed a finger against her lips. "I'm not taking no for an answer. You are carrying my niece or nephew, and this time, I'm not taking chances."

Alexandra couldn't help but smile briefly and nod. She had not been about to refuse the offer—God knew it wasn't all about her this time. Her baby was important, so she was willing to put her pride aside.

"For a moment back there, I thought you would have blurted out to him that I was carrying his child."

Melissa jerked back, affronted, and it got her a watery smile out of Lexi. It was something, at least. "Please, I know when to talk and when not to," she defended. Alexandra gave her an unimpressed look and she groaned, admitting, "Sometimes."

"You are pretty when you admit you're wrong," Lexi muttered lightly.

Melissa scowled. "Don't you just have a wonderful sense of humor?"

Lexi chuckled at the amount of sarcasm packed in that sentence, stepping out when the elevator doors swished open. "Let me get my bag then we can go. I'm kind of getting hungry."

"It's amazing how you're thinking of food at this time." She shook her head though she was proud of her friend.

Lexi scoffed. "Am I supposed to starve myself and my child because my husband believed someone over me? No, thank you."

"That is the baby speaking," Melissa muttered. "But I don't mind—as long as you don't eat mine as well." She shrugged and Alexandra shoved her to the side. "Your appetite is growing fast. Are you sure you're not growing twins?" she added casually.

Twins? With Trey? She knew she would love them no matter what, but two would complicate matters. Money was going to be tight, and she might have to start looking for a job as soon as she gave birth.

"But don't worry, I'll feed you well," Melissa was saying, her voice rising alongside her excitement. "You're going to be the size of a whale by the time you're about 7 months—"