CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

Thursday, October 20, 2016
H

ighgate Hospital
(At the parking lot)

"You son of a gun!" Trey exclaimed, not particularly caring about where he was. He tried pushing up onto his feet when Wheeler spoke.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," he said quietly. "You're in range."

At that, Trey began looking around wildly, but there wasn't much he could see from his position on the floor. "It was you all along," Trey seethed. "Why didn't I see it?"

Wheeler chuckled. "For someone known by the world as a genius, you're pretty daft if you've been fooled by an old man." Trey's growl only deepened his amusement.

"I incited Donovan with the promise of letting him have Alexandra feel the same pain he did, and though he began with the nudes and all that, the real deal was—well, he'd thought it would be—having Lexi staying with him for as long as possible."

Wheeler let out a 'ha!'. "As if I didn't have plans for her myself. He didn't have to know that though, so I gave him the financial backing and connections to get that murderer bailed. Then it began from there."

Trey stayed quiet despite all the insults he wanted to hurl. He'd been foolish, so foolish that he'd overlooked the signs. "You sent Jasper to the 'base' one time to pick up something. So, under the guise of having something important to do, I followed him and found one of the roads leading there. All I had to do was drop a pin to Donovan, and he had the murderer—"

"You don't even know his name," Trey muttered.

"I don't care!" Wheeler yelled in response, then continued. "The murderer waited on that road and followed the first person to get there home." Dustin. "Then he bided his time, going to visit in the night."

He laughed. "It worked out so well. Donovan got into your house and planted lies to rock your life and ultimately, gave himself away as the mastermind in my place.

"It had occurred to me long before that anything could happen that would point to another more influential mastermind. So, I let your father visit whenever I was at the company to 'update him' on your progress."

Wheeler laughed even louder this time. "He was so hungry for direct information about you that he'd leave his workplace as soon as I called and come over."

Again, this information about his father was surprising to Trey. He didn't know the old man cared to that extent even though he'd virtually disowned him.

"Each time, he'd enter your office for liquor because I told him you had the best—he agreed your selection for clients was good. Unknown to him, I was setting him up for the day I'd steal your gadget."

Trey snarled, hating the man even more than he'd thought possible. "I attached one of your spider cameras to him, directing it off when he entered the office. I saw your code and gave it to Djamila, who retrieved the device one time when she was going to leave reports on your desk.

"It's your own fault for not having cameras there. After all, you didn't want your security personnel to see whenever you were taking your wife against the table or on the floor—"

"Get to the point," Trey growled.

"I also lied to your father to get his car. That idiot," Wheeler snorted. "Who trusts people with an expensive car like that? Clearly, he has so much money that he doesn't care if one sports car gets wrecked."

Trey didn't like how Wheeler was undermining his father's trust. He didn't like how both himself and his father had been manipulated. They both were considered smart in their own rights but had been outsmarted but something which had obviously been carefully planned.