CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Friday, July 29, 2016
Tech Geniuses

Trey was ready to meet what the day held in store head on. Alexandra still didn't know, but she would soon. He hadn't told her because at twenty-five weeks pregnant, she was worried enough about her condition.

That was the only thing that made him second guess his decision.

Over the past three to four weeks, Trey had spent most of his time working together with Billy, Mitch, Jason, and sometimes Dustin, to get everything in place. He'd spent more time with Nicolysse, making her feel he was still interested in her; he wasn't.

And though Alexandra understood he had to do it, he didn't intend on dragging it out at all.

He'd done a little digging and he'd found quite interesting facts from the past both far back and recent. As a result, he had invited his ex, his stepmother, his father—as just a witness to the events that would unfold—and Ethan to his office.

Getting the latter to come had been easy.

After officially divorcing Alexandra (which she'd agreed to for a fresh start), he'd allowed them to be filmed coming out of the courtroom, and all he'd said when asked was 'It's no big deal. She just isn't my wife anymore, so she can do what she wants without either of you slamming her name', then he'd left them to stew over it, dropping her off at the house to 'hang out' with his ex.

Owing to the fact that the machines were set up in their home, he went to the new house during the day (the nursery had been completed) and snuck home at night to kiss and hold her.

And the tabloids were eating it up. They'd—inadvertently—helped Trey achieve his goal, because then, all he had to do was admit defeat and Ethan came to visit with an 'I told you so', having known that Alexandra had gone back to Trey.

Dumb enough as he was, Ethan hadn't left immediately. He'd still threatened to take their children, and knowing quite dreadful information about Ethan's company, Trey had pretended he was desperate for heirs to his fortune to survive.

So, he told Ethan to come to the annual meeting, and there, Trey would announce him as the head of the Hampstead branch (HQ) and others—sharing his assets so that Ethan wouldn't touch his kids.

Donovan had agreed with a gloating smirk, thinking he'd won, with no idea he'd just been played. Having to get Nicolysse and his stepmother there was the easiest, but he couldn't help but notice how lackluster Valerie was starting to look. Perhaps, guilt was eating at her.

Still, he pushed on.

It was time to end it—once and for all.

A single knock at his door pulled him out of his thoughts, then Gale entered, closing it behind himself. "Security, the police, your managerial heads, special guests, the media, witnesses... everything is in place.

"I called your sister too, and she, together with the others, will prepare your wife for it before turning on the TV." He paused, taking a deep breath. They were really doing this. "Ready when you are sir." 

Trey nodded, turning away from his window to grab his phone—anything to stall a little. Suddenly, he was doubting Alexandra's strength to handle it. But he hadn't told her also because she would've tried to stop him. He wanted to do this, and he would.

"I'm ready."

*

Trey stood before them, ignoring the smile Nicolysse sent his way. She obviously felt privileged to be here when Alexandra wasn't, and Trey let her think what she wanted to.