CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

(⚠️ mentions of abuse⚠️)

Waverley, Edinburgh
T

he Hostage Building

07:52 pm...

She finally stirred from the deep sleep whatever Nicolysse had injected her with had plunged her into. Ethan breathed out, turning to Nicolysse who stood over Maya—she was unbound to care for the babies.

"In the future," he said, pointing at her, "I ban you from injecting her with anything. I know you think of poison as nothing, and I'd rather not lose her to such a quick death. I have too much pent up pain I want her to feel before I let go."

"Does that mean then, that you have no intention of honoring your deal with Trey?" Nicolysse asked while Maya remained quiet as promised.

Ethan blew out another breath, cocking his head at Nicolysse. "What do you think? If I let her go back to him, you can kiss your chances of getting him back goodbye." He walked towards the bed where Alexandra lay.

"I just made him think I'm willing to give her back so that he gives me my share. I can start up a different business after paying off the debts of my company and go live elsewhere. He's so rich that a quarter of his assets would have me set for life."

He, however, didn't tell Nicolysse what he actually intended to do. He kept mum and went on his knees so he was level with Alexandra's face. "Wake up Alexa. I've been waiting for you."

There was a beat, then she shot up into a sitting position once she recognised the voice. It was a bad idea and she found herself clutching her head in hopes it'll ease the headache.

"My babies," she whispered. Then she pushed away from the side Ethan was on, but she wasn't quick enough.

He caught hold on her ankle and smiled as he dragged her back. "Not so fast. I need you at full power for your husband's arrival and the exchange."

Alexandra's eyes went wide when she remembered Trey agreeing to come over when she'd told him not to. She didn't have a good feeling about Ethan's true intentions, and suspected Nicolysse herself didn't.

Ethan pulled her till she was pressed against his chest, then tugged on her shoulder to lower her further so he could whisper into her ear. "The exchange will be... fun. I'll make sure of it.

"And you know, you were right in thinking it wouldn't be a good idea for him to come because in less than two minutes, he'll be at my mercy." A pause. "I'll kill him."

Lexi gasped and he pressed a finger to her lips as tears left her eyes, shushing her even more when she started pleading for his life. Then he continued in a whisper, "Nicolysse—stupid girl—won't get what she wants but this'll prove me right; if I can't have you, no one will."

Alexandra shed more tears, muffled by the finger kept in front of her lips. "He'll die, and you're going to watch it. If you try anything stupid," he pressed even closer to her ear, whispering still the words, "your two little darlings will die as well."

Just then, they felt the vibration of what could only be a powerful engine. Ethan smiled a little and drew back. "The man of the hour is here," he said in a normal voice, rising to his feet.

After instructing her to take the babies, and telling her to keep her mouth shut, he told Nicolysse to bring Maya out as well. Then he said, "Let's go greet him."

*

8:00 pm....

Trey was already standing a little ways from the car he'd parked some distance in front of the building. He didn't want to get too close yet.