CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Tuesday, June 21st, 2016

32 Heath Street

19 weeks...

"Here we are," Melissa said when they walked up to the cafe's street after having to park elsewhere. "32 Heath Street. Louise Patisserie will be right up the street. Let's go check it out," she said, hooking her arm with Alexandra's.

Alexandra nodded absently, lost in thought. She wanted to be anywhere but here. It was a sacrifice she had to make for her babies. Someone bumped into her shoulder, clasping her hand briefly.

When he pulled away with a muttered apology that did not sound the slightest bit genuine, she realized he'd left a note in her hand. Melissa spotted the piece of paper and began grumbling about how the guy could've hurt her to give the impression that she wasn't paying her any attention.

And Lexi took the bait. Leaving it in that same hand, she stuck it to her side and discreetly read the contents to the note, nodding occasionally to Melissa's ramblings.

You should've come alone.

She recognized the writing as Ethan's and cast a quick look around, wondering where he was and how he already knew she was here with Melissa and not alone. Lexi tucked the scrunched note into her pocket.

"We're here," Melissa said, pausing in front of the building which housed the coffeehouse. Lexi looked up with a small smile.

"Let's go inside," Lexi muttered, pulling Melissa along with her. As soon as they opened the door, the bell above jiggled announcing their presence. Several pairs of eyes moved to them, and Lexi lowered her head, unaware the video had already been pulled down.

She spotted an empty table in the far back by the wall and made a beeline for it, with Melissa following on high alert. Lexi got distracted when she saw the cakes on display. Her stomach grumbled with hunger, reminding her she hadn't eaten breakfast.

Melissa smiled at her. "Hungry?"

"You bet," she replied with the first genuine smile since morning.

Just then an elderly lady came over with a warm smile, greeting them. "Hi, how are you doing?" Her joy was so infectious that Lexi found herself smiling too.

"I'm good," Lexi replied, her smile still in place. Melissa nodded in answer.

"I'm Luan and I'll be taking your orders. What can I get you lovely ladies?"

She reminded Lexi of Maya. Maya always had a way of making her feel better about herself, and that was exactly what this woman was doing. "I'll have a chocolate mocha cake," Melissa said.

"Mm, a coffee lover, I assume," Luan said, smiling at Melissa.

Melissa chuckled, "I am." She turned to Lexi. "I'm liking this place."

Lexi grinned widely, glad something good had come out of this. "And you, my dear," the older woman said, addressing Lexi, "what would you have?"

"I'd also like a chocolate cake, except, I can't decide between a chocolate truffle or chocolate oreo cake," Alexandra said, voicing out her dilemma.

"Pregnancy is like that," their host sympathized. "How about a slice of each?"

"That would be great."

"Drinks?" she asked both.

"I'll have a cappuccino with chocolate powder topping," Melissa said, "and she'll have tea—earl grey."