CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Trey's House

27 weeks...

Lexi was drifting off when she heard voices downstairs and concluding that the others had returned from the last court session where Ethan's final sentence had been read, she sat up. She was eager to know his sentence and how long she could breathe freely for.

With Trey's office stunt proving how urgent it was to deal with the case, the court had agreed to adjust their schedule such that between the previous week and this one, anyone involved had been sentenced.

She, Samantha and Sierra had been left at home while the others went on. Her because she was on bed rest, and Samantha because she was two weeks away from her due date. Sierra had offered to stay though they'd told her they didn't need babysitting.

The door to her room opened, and she looked to see Sierra walking in with two trays of food. She let out a sigh, smiling a little. "You didn't have to do all that. I hate that you are the one waiting on me when it should be the other way around. You're the guest."

Sierra set the tray down on the bedside table and straightened, looking down at Alexandra. "For the last time Lexi, I chose to do this. So instead of complaining about who's serving who, why don't you ask what I brought you?"

As if on cue, her stomach grumbled, and she closed her eyes as heat crawled up her neck. "What did you make?"

Sierra laughed, walking to the wall right opposite the bed. She wheeled the bed table over, settling it above Lexi's thighs. Then she put one of the trays on it. "I made turkey sandwiches with gluten free bread, and mustard baked chips."

"Sounds interesting," she murmured, looking over the food in the tray. Sierra had added an apple too. "Thank you very much."

"My pleasure," she replied, pressing a kiss to Lexi's head. "I'm taking Samantha's food up to her as well, and I think Trey and Melissa will be up soon. In the meantime, will you be okay?"

"Of course," Lexi replied, waving her away. "I'll be fine. Thank you." Sierra smiled, then taking the second tray off the table, she left, closing the door softly after her.

Melissa came in with Trey a little after she'd left, and Lexi smiled at them. Melissa told her she was hungry herself, so after hugging and asking how she was feeling, she left to find herself something to eat.

Trey closed the door after his sister, approaching the bed with a tired smile. "Hey," he whispered, dropping onto the bed.

"Hi," she replied softly, trying not to smile as she watched him lay down on his back. The flutters this man still gave her. . . "Tired?"

"Beat," he agreed, closing his eyes and throwing an arm over them. "Starving too, but Maya hasn't finished with lunch yet."

"Sorry," Alexandra murmured, biting into one sandwich. "You could have one of my sandwiches if you'd like."

He shook his head, yawning. "Don't worry. You need to eat more. I'm more tired than hungry anyway so I might pass out on your bed." He shifted his arm upwards and popped an eye open to look at her with a crooked smile. "Hope you don't mind?"

"No," she said with a smile, shaking her head when she felt her cheeks heat up.

Amused, he pushed off his back and scooted forward till he was in front of her. She swallowed what she'd been chewing and held his gaze while trying to hide her smile under his intense look.

"Do I make you nervous?" She closed her eyes when her cheeks heated even more, the smile growing wider. Then Trey said, "Give me a kiss."

She drew back in surprise at the random request, but leaned in to press a quick kiss to his cheek then went back to wolfing down her food. He scoffed. "What was that? I want a kiss kiss."