CHAPTER TWELVE

Saturday, June 18, 2016
Aqua Resort
19 weeks...

It took her more than the minute she had asked for and tons of pep talks to get herself together. She'd cried even, worried about her babies. At one point, a lady had emerged from one of the stalls and cast her a pitying look.

When she finally came out of the washroom, she nearly slammed into Nicolysse who looked royally pissed. "If you know what is good for you, stay away from him. And I know you know who I'm talking about.

"All you've been through so far is nothing compared to what I can do. Feel free to try though," she said with an icy smile. She turned to leave but paused. "And one more thing, don't you dare tell him about the little bastards you are carrying inside you. Don't even think about it if you want them alive."

Lexi stood for a few seconds as Nicolysse walked away, asking herself why they had chosen the wedding to threaten her and her babies' lives, and that was how Melissa and Ashley found her—leaning against the wall just outside the washroom, looking shaken.

"Are you okay?" Melissa asked first.

"You look a little too pale," Ashley added.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," she said with a forced smile and waved away their concern.

"Are you sure?" Melissa asked, looking skeptical. "I saw Nicolysse come from this direction."

"I—"

"Alexandra?" All three women turn to see a gorgeous and very pregnant blonde woman dressed impeccably. Lexi recognized her first.

"Samantha?"

"Yeah. . .you remember me," she muttered, sounding surprised. Lexi smiled and moved forward to hug her, grateful for the escape. Melissa waved at her from her spot by the wall and Sam waved back.

"Of course. Samantha, this is my mother-in-law Ashley," Sam inclined her head in a show of respect, "and Ashley this is Samantha. Melissa and I met her at the hospital when I was going for an ultrasound."

Ashley gave Sam a hug with a warm smile. "Any friend of my daughters is a friend of mine too." Her eyes fell to the bump that had gotten between them. "You look gorgeous by the way."

"Thank you," she replied with a bright smile.

"How far along are you? If you don't mind me asking."

"30 weeks next week," she answered with a warm smile. Ashley smiled so wide her eyes crinkled at the corners—a trait she had passed on to Trey.

"Congratulations!"

"Thank you," Sam replied, flushing with pleasure.

"Do you know the gender?"

"Yes, but only I am entitled to know," she said, lifting her chin. Ashley laughed. "I know by mistake. I want it to be a surprise for my boyfriend."

"That's fine," Ashley told her. "Don't ever feel like you have to explain yourself to me, especially if you don't want to talk about it. Okay?"

Samantha nodded with a smile that reached her eyes.

"Please don't take this the wrong way. It's not to degrade you or anything, so I hope you don't take offense," Alexandra said, choosing her words carefully. "Who are you here with?"

"I don't find that offensive at all. I'm actually here with Mitch. He was invited and brought me along as a plus one," she answered honestly.

"Remember I mentioned he had a friend who owned the club I used to work at, and that he convinced him to let me go so I would stop working at night?"