CHAPTER THIRTY

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Royals Private Hospital21 weeks...

Trey paced up and down the corridor, occasionally apologizing when he found himself blocking the path for other patients or doctors. He couldn't bring himself to sit—he'd tried, and had ended up wringing his hands and bouncing his legs.

"Trey," came Andrew's stern voice. He stopped pacing long enough to look at him, but that didn't stop him from tapping his foot impatiently. "I know you're worried, but can you stop pacing? It's getting annoying."

Trey glared at him and went to stand against the wall. The possible scenarios his brain was painting for him in his idle state weren't things he wanted to dwell on. So he resumed pacing a second later. "What's taking so long?" he grumbled.

"Trey," Andrew said again, but right then, Dr. Morris appeared around the bend. He turned so fast he nearly tripped over his own feet, but it was the least of his problems.

His heart heavy, he stopped in front of the doctor, asking, "Are they okay?"

Roberta's lips were pressed into a thin line. "Would you like me to speak to you alone or here in front of them?"

Trey stood, mulling over that. "Alone," he decided in the end, not looking at them for their reactions to that. "I'll update them if I deem it necessary."

Roberta nodded once. "Come with me."

Trey followed silently as they walked through hallways, and though he wondered where she was taking him, he kept his mouth shut. Roberta, who was usually always smiling, had a serious expression today. If that didn't tell him enough, he didn't know what else could.

Roberta took a sharp left, and he followed, almost slamming into a petite nurse. He muttered his apologies and went ahead, completely missing the way her jaw dropped when she realized who he was.

Roberta pushed open a door, and his heart skipped a beat when he realized she'd brought him to Alexandra's room. "We moved her from the emergency room. I hope you don't mind."

He shook his head, his steps faltering when he saw the wires connected to her, but managed to move when she smiled at him—albeit tiredly. He went in all the way, closing the door behind him.

Roberta allowed him a moment to take it all in. "What are all these that are hooked to her?" he asked quietly, going to his wife's side.

Roberta sighed, her straight expression falling off. "A blood pressure cuff—which I will take off in a bit," she began, "a heart monitor for her and a monitor for each of the babies, a pulse checker, and an IV drip."

Alexandra lowered her head, avoiding Trey's gaze. He tipped her chin up then bent to kiss her softly, forgetting the doctor was present. "I'm glad you're okay," he whispered, his eyes expressive.

She caught his gaze, seeing the fear she was sure was present in hers. But otherwise, he looked composed. "You almost sent me into cardiac arrest." She smiled a little.

He kissed her once more then straightened to his full height, never once letting go of her hand. "What's wrong this time?" he asked, bracing himself for what was to come.

"It's getting bad," Roberta said, hitting the nail on the head. When she finished pulling off the blood pressure cuff, she stood back to look at them. "Her blood pressure is at 130/63 Mr. Robinson. The babies aren't mature enough to be out by now. Any more rises in her blood pressure and you might lose your babies."

That knocked the breath out of him. Just when they'd thought they were so close to finally having children, life just had to throw more obstacles at them. "What do you suggest?" he asked, proud when his voice came out strong.