CHAPTER SEVEN

Thursday, May 12, 2016
Melissa's House
13 weeks...

"Why are you all dressed up? Where are you going?" Melissa asked, appearing out of nowhere with a glass of orange juice in hand, an elegant brow raised so high it almost merged with her hair. Alexandra turned around, a nervous smile on her lips.

'So much for sneaking out'.

"Hey Mel," she mumbled, turning a dull shade of red since she'd been caught.

Melissa gave a tight smile. "Hey Lexi. And I haven't forgotten my question. I hope you haven't too because I'd like an answer to it."

Alexandra blew out a breath and tucked her hair behind her ears, stalling for time. Realizing Melissa wasn't going to back down, she decided to let her know. She wasn't doing anything wrong anyway.

"I'm going to our house. . . Well, Trey's house now."

They had just arrived from the hospital where her new doctor, Roberta Morris had checked on her and confirmed she was pregnant with twins. It definitely meant extra cost and it had made her start thinking about informing Trey.

Melissa's brow went up higher. "Did I hear you right?"

"Yes. I'm going there," Lexi said simply.

"Not that I'm against it or anything, but, why?"

"My stuff," she replied vaguely.

"Your stuff?" Melissa echoed with a disbelieving laugh.

"Yep," Lexi confirmed in a voice too high; a voice that betrayed her nervousness.

Melissa crossed her arms under her breasts, regarding Alexandra—her glass of juice completely forgotten. "Trey sent over your things when he found out you'll be staying with me for a bit. So what stuff are you talking about going to get? And why do I feel like you're not telling me everything?"

"I don't need to," Lexi replied quietly, then lifted a brow in question. "Unless this place is a prison?"

Looking offended and a little hurt, Melissa said, "Last I recall, Trey didn't want to see you ever. Add that to the possibility of him being drunk and it's a recipe for disaster!"

Alexandra sighed, realizing Melissa wasn't trying to stop her. She was just concerned, and Lexi appreciated that. "I'm just going for my remaining stuff. All the maternity clothes I bought are still there. And if possible, I'll collect some baby stuff too, then it'll be less expenses to cover for me."

Melissa was still looking at her skeptically. "I'm worried about you; as your sister-in-law and your best friend—"

"I know you're worried," Alexandra cut in, smiling.

"I still don't think it's a good idea," Melissa said, exasperated at the realization that Lexi wasn't listening to her. She'd made up her mind.

Alexandra grinned a bit mischievously. "Are you saying that your brother is bad? That he'll hurt me?"

"No," she said hastily. "At least I don't think so. But I still think you shouldn't endanger the lives of your babies like this."

"What—"

"Let me explain." It was Alexandra's turn to cross her arms and regard Melissa as she struggled to find the right words to explain herself. "What if he's drunk and should push you or something like that—by mistake? If he finds out he killed or harmed his own children in any way, he'll never forgive himself even if you do."

"I understand your concerns. But I have to do this. And who knows, maybe, I might tell him about the babies."

Melissa searched her face for a moment. "Is that what you want to do?"