Never Forget

Justin’s Point of View

Throughout dinner I had a vibe that something was causing a disturbance in Lily’s mood.

The way she wondered off into deep thoughts while everyone engaged in small talk.

Each time we met eyes, Lily would peer off into space trying to avoid my gaze. I wanted nothing more than to pull her to the side to ask what is wrong.

Lily reluctantly excused herself from the table. The conversations did not subsided and neither have forks and knives collided into the plates. I watched as Lily arose from the table placing the napkin that covered her lap down onto her plate. I settled my gaze onto Scooter wondering when he was going to pitch in his excuse. Of course that moment never came.

Out of all people I would have expected Scooter to excuse himself as well sensing that there is something is bothering his wife to be.

Scooter has had more than enough time to learn Lily inside and out. Apparently these few years haven’t done him any justice. Mentally shaking my head at the matter, I found it as opportunity to see what is up myself.

Falsely accusing my phone of vibrating in my pocket, I clenched onto it.

“Excuse me, I have to take this call, it might be urgent.” I stated, to Valerie in particular. She waved a hand dismissively as her mouth continued to blabbing on about a subject I tuned out a long time ago. I stood up making my way to the same path Lily took saying hello loud enough to make a lie convincing.

I surfaced around the corner unnoticed, to find Lily coaxing herself. Now I’m really curious to know what is running through her mind.

I took a small step to the side, pushing my hands deep into my pockets.

I examined her one last time before speaking up in almost a whisper. “You are not very good at hiding your true emotions.”

She immediately stopped assaulting the floor with her heels to observe my presences. It was to her dismay to see me standing in front of her. She quickly brushed away astonishment.

“Since you know me so well. Tell me your beloved theory.” Lily challenged, to my surprise. I actually found myself enticed with the idea of her not even avoiding the topic.

I patted my lips with my tongue before taking a step closer.

“It’s too noisy out here.” I referred, to the chatter up front that is getting out of hand. “Can we talk in private?” I asked, not wanting her to think I was going to try anything.

I’ll keep my hands to myself.

For now.

Lily shot a hesitant look knowing very well I may not be able to keep my word. Solemnly nodding while opening on the door that was to her right allowing the both of us to go in. I observed my surroundings as Lily stood near the door she left cracked purposely.