Everything Has Changed

“Hey Justin. I’m sure you assumed it was me calling again for the umpteenth time.” Lily laughed, lightly trying to brighten the mood, but failing miserably to hide her grief. “Response back soon.” She sighed, beginning to let realization settle in that she has really done it this time.

“Please.”

Satisfied with the content of the message Lily pressed the end in hopes maybe it would get through to Justin.

Lily sighed.

Was this how Justin felt when he was trying to reach out to Lily through calls in the past? Ring after ring, expecting the voice that he so longed to hear, finally pick up and say at least one thing. Anything at the moment, it wouldn’t have mattered in his eyes. Lily began to wonder what Justin would have said.

A simply hello or how are you doing. Or would he have been overwhelmed by the fact that she actually answered that everything he wanted to say couldn’t be made out into words, leaving a long dreary silence on the other line until his thumb found the movement to press end. Then in the mist of it all he sat there in the dark beating himself up harder than the rain that was taking a toll outside a the very moment. Wondering why didn’t he say something. It could have been his last chance.

But Lily will never know because she never gave him a chance to begin with.

She couldn’t handle the discomfort of being ignored for a couple of hours, yet Justin dealt with it two years.

In a way, Lily did not feel sorry for herself.

She deserved every agonizing moment she waited expecting Justin to answer her calls or better yet the stress of waiting for a call in return. With the way things are going, she would be up all night. In the same process Lily casually reminded herself that her first priority was upstairs and that he didn’t deserve to be strayed away from.

“Scott.” Lily called out, abandoning the spot she spent the rest of her day moping around, along with her phone.

Lily assumed that Scooter would be in a much better mood than he was in earlier. Since the dance studio scene took place, he seemed rather distant. Scooter’s voice could be heard from the first stair as usual he was locked away in his office. Luckily his mood had positive turn around. Hoisting a fist up to knock on the door, Lily stopped once her name was heard.

“How are things going between you and Lily?” A voice who would be presumed to be Keith asked.

“Lily and I are doing fine.” Scott said, blankly. “The wedding stuff it’s getting old. I just want to rejoice as one already.” Lily felt herself flush at his enthusiasm to jump the broom so quick. “And I miss work.” Go figure she thought.

“Yeah, the work place has been pretty lonely without you. Especially when I have several colleges wondering when you’re coming back.” Keith stated. Lily realized it was not anything to be heard and her place back on the couch was calling her more than ever.

“Like who?” She heard Scooter asked when was only distant away from the stairs.

“Well you know, Clarkson, Trish, and Monroe.” Keith chuckled, at the last part. Lily wasn’t a stranger to the name Monroe, she could recall seeing the woman at many formal events and then spotting her Scooter’s office awhile back. Something did sit well with Monroe in her eyes. Maybe Lily would stay around to catch the punch line.

“Jeez don’t remind me.” Knowing her Scott very well she knew he was rubbing his temple while giving his head a light shake.

“I don’t know what you did with Catherine, but she has had her eye on you for awhile now.” Keith says. Lily raised an eyebrow in curiosity to where this conversation was leading.