Perilous

No Point of View 

“You’re the last person I would expect to hear from,” Scooter leaned back into his office chair, kicking his feet up on a desk, muttering a small thanks to the most recent lady in his life who graciously lit the cigar between his lips leaving him to cater to business like each time.

“There was never a reason to,” Jeremy closed his eyes cursing himself in complexity for letting the weak comeback fly out.

Scooter withheld a dark chuckle, blowing out a perfect ring of smoke. He hadn’t said much yet he already had Jeremy cowering much to his liking, “Jeremy I’m going to be short with you. I’m a very busy man, not many of us can lie around and feed off of others success. If I want to eat, I have to work. Right now, I’m very famished.”

Jeremy bit down on the side of his clenched jaw, “Pretty understandable, but if I didn’t feel the need to call you I wouldn’t have.”

Then it struck Jeremy. Why he was he calling to begin with? What was going to accomplish by meddling into something that he was specially told not to. 

And till that day comes you won’t try to contact him and you won’t create a whole another list of problems

He obviously didn’t think things thoroughly, it was sudden act on impulse. What was going to say? I hate you for being the father I couldn’t be to Justin. How dare you take my place then make it challenge for me to live up to everything you’ve done. You had no right to mold my son into the man he’s becoming this very day. That last bit of manhood he possessed with have been completely thrown out of the window. His assertiveness was compelling and that’s what irks Jeremy the most. He refused to grant Scooter another reason to feel that he’s better than him. 

“Tick toc—”

“Flowers. There were a bouquet of roses sent to Justin’s room anonymously. The message that came along with it had your name written all over”

Scooter laughed, digging the cigar into the ashes tray. He had enough of the thick grey smoke clouding his vision just as much as he grown tiresome of this conversation, “Listen I have better things to do than to send flowers and anonymously for that matter. My name has been dragged through the dirt enough. I’ll appreciate if you delete my number. If this gets out somehow. I will be forced to contact my lawyer and I’m sure you don’t want Justin to go through the trouble of finding you one.”

Jeremy clenched his knuckles to the point they looked as if they were going to bleed, “You think you’re so high and mighty. That every has to walk at your pace and by your rules. 

“Of course they have to especially if they want to keep their jobs. Therefore, I’m not really understanding the poor lingo of your metaphor.”

“Those who brag upon the blessings they received are doing nothing but counting down the days they have left”

“5, 4, 3, 2, 1… Oh why don’t you look at that.  I’m still here and for a very long time. When my time is up, I’ll leave knowing that I’ve done good and changed many lives. Your son being one of them

“You leave him out of this!” Jeremy spat through gritted teeth.

“I just want to know how the young fellow is doing and if he’s giving Lily any trouble. You know they get feisty at this age. I wonder how’s the babysitting gig going for Lily. You know, I really crack myself up.”

“You’re pathetic,” the statement made him feel like a total hypocrite because not even hours ago it was  him taking a swing at them. That made his stomach swoon at the thought of them sharing a similar trait. Looks like the two of them aren’t too far from being different after all.