Chapter 3 - PAST

"So what flavor of the rainbow are you?" Natsuo asked, washing the dishes even though you told him you'd do it later.

"I don't label myself anymore. I like whoever. Depends on their personality more than their looks. Honestly looks are inconsequential. Lot of it has to do with the psychological response I have to their behavior or voice or something."

Natsuo laughed. "So it's about power?"

You snorted. "I guess. Power and personality."

"At least we know you won't like our father."

"Why do you say that?" You teased.

"All power play. No personality." He stated matter-of-factly.

You chuckled. "He's been pretty civil around me, surprisingly. Apart from the second day I saw him. He was pissed cause he got wounded and was sent home."

"Yeah Yumi was surprised too."

"Hey is Todoroki-kun upset that I'm sort of respectful around Todoroki-san?"

Natsuo paused. "I don't think so. He mentioned something about you being respectful to everyone. He said he envied you and Fuyumi. Being able to take his bullshit in stride."

"Okay thanks. I just don't want him to think I'm not an ally, you know? I just don't see the sense of confronting the man. Though since I'm essentially Todoroki-kun's nanny, if Todoroki-san ever does become especially aggressive in his presence, I'll step in."

"Do you know...?"

"The gist of it. I'm sorry you guys had to go through that."

"Yeah. How about you? Yumi said that she just happened to see your background check. She respects your privacy so she didn't tell me but I know something awful happened."

You sighed.

"You don't have to-"

"No. No, I want to."

You took a deep breath before you began.

"When I was little, I was diagnosed as quirkless. The whole extra joint in your pinky toe shit didn't apply to me."

He stopped washing the dishes and instead leaned against the counter, staring at you intently. You just kept preparing the ingredients for lunch.

"I was bullied obviously, my mother abandoned me soon after. I'm pretty sure my father was a criminal. She didn't see the sense in raising me if I couldn't protect her, I suppose."

Natsuo frowned.

"And when I was sixteen, I tried to take my own life. I survived, obviously, but my heart had stopped and I had to be resuscitated. When I woke up the first thing I saw was a disembowled corpse hovering over me. I screamed, and told the doctor what I was seeing. He didn't see it. Nobody else did. I was put on an emergency psych hold and some sadistic fuck decided he'd diagnose me with schizophrenia. He deemed me a danger to myself and others and then with my mother's testimony, I was shipped off to an asylum for an indefinite amount of time."

Natsuo gasped. "Wait, your mom? But the bitch hadn't even seen you in a decade."

"The judge didn't listen to me when I said the very same thing. My mother argued that I was born to be a monster. That's why she'd abandoned me at an orphanage, apparently."

Taking another breath you continued, "That asylum was being used as an illegal quirk testing facility. He knew I wasn't schizophrenic. He just wanted to find the extent of my abilities. Which he assumed was the ability to talk to the dead. I learned that that wasn't the only thing I could do. I could use the quirk of anyone who's dead. As long as their spirit agrees. Most of the spirits in the testing facility had died because of that man. They said that would forever tie themselves to me, and let me use their power, as long as I avenged them."

He looked at you and then at the kitchen knife in your hand.

"Using the abilities of dozens of ridiculously overpowered spirits, I broke out of my cell, and ploughed my way through security and to the Warden's office. I killed him. His corspe was unrecognizable by the time police arrived. I'd critically injured five guards as well. Three of them died."

Natsuo didn't stop staring at you. No fear could be seen in his expression. Only pity.

"I was only seventeen at the time. I got charged for manslaughter. Which was pretty lenient all things considered. Got 14 years in prison but got out three years early on good behavior. My mom had died and I got whatever menial life savings she had and I used it to further my education. Did A levels in most scientific subjects so that I could hopefully get into a good university once I was out. I've only been free for three years and I've just been working full time so I could get enough funds to apply for a student loan."

He squeezed your forearm reassuringly. He didn't know what to say.

"You know, I always wanted to be a pro-hero. When I was little I used to tell my mom that I would be as strong as All Might and as smart and serious and passionate as Endeavor. They weren't as popular as they are now, back then, but I felt like they were a package deal. If I wanted to be the ultimate hero I needed to be the best of both worlds."

"Pretty mature for a lil' dude." Natsuo joked sadly.

"Obviously it's not going to happen now. My record makes it hard to do anything really. Much less become a pro-hero."

"What are you studying at the moment?" You redirected. You felt like you were on the verge of tears.

"Medical welfare."

"Woah seriously? Geez how come all of you are so smart? If I had kids like you I'd be bragging about all of you constantly."

"My father definitely does not share the sentiment."

"Honestly dude I wish I could say he'll  come around but he's like 43 years old now, right?"

"Yeah."

"Gosh why are men so stubborn? I know it for a fact because I'm stubborn as fuck."

Natsuo laughed once more. "I think that's one of your better qualities, though."

"Eh maybe." You smiled. Endeavor doesn't even know how lucky he is.

You ruffled the young man's hair.

"Hey! What was that for?" He chuckled.

"Just fixing your hair. You've got bed head."

"Bah. Bullshit."

What you didn't know was that Endeavor had been listening. A dozen emotions surged through him, the most prevalent one being regret.