Chapter 26 - IZUKU

"Are you sure there's nothing I can help with, Mrs Midoriya?"

She gave you a dismissive wave and a kind smile. "Nonsense. You're a guest."

You fidgeted nervously. She soon came back into the small living room with two cups of tea. Her demeanor was gentle and energetic. A breath of fresh air compared to the Todorokis' reserved behavior.

She sat down on the sofa with a soft thud.

"So how long have you been that boy's guardian?"

"It's really just been through technicality rather than legality but it's been," you paused. "Wow it's been seven months. Feels longer."

"His parents?" She asked, fishing for information. You threw her a bone.

"His dad is usually at work. His sister used to do what I'm doing now but she's a student teacher. And she's relatively young. She shouldn't have to take on the role of his mother."

She nodded in understanding. "I can tell he likes you. Can't say that for a lot of babysitters. Or what's the word?"

"Au pair," you sighed, leaning back. "But honestly, I don't want to be paid anymore. I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, a scholarship and as of my last paycheck, enough money to pay for my hero suit. So I don't need it anymore. Or want it really. Makes me feel like my care is conditional."

She smiled, her large green eyes drilling into your soul. You looked away.

"I'm just really glad Shouto has made a friend."

She laughed. "My son seems to bond with anyone who can fawn over heroes and their abilities. Still has trouble keeping friends though."

"I can tell Shouto is taken to him. He usually avoids eye contact like his father, but he was listening with baited breath while your son was talking."

"Are you close with his father?"

You thought about it. Then frowned. "I think we're sort of friends? I don't know. He's difficult to read and he's about as emotionally constipated as a straight man in the 1960s."

She giggled, a bright noise that had you smiling in turn.

Izuku came rushing downstairs, halting in front of you with Shouto close behind him. He looked at you imploringly, before saying, "Please show me your quirks, Sir."

He looked as if he was ready to get on his knees and beg. You chuckled. "Sure, but I can't do it inside. And some of them are difficult to demonstrate without destroying something so we'll forego those."

He nodded enthusiastically before turning to his mother. "Mom? Can we? Please."

"Wow, what did you say to get him so riled up, young man?" she addressed Shouto. Shouto gestured to you.

"I told Izuku-kun that (Y/N) could probably beat Endeavor in a fight."

You blanched. "I'm glad you think highly of me but I'm not a god," you said.

Mrs Midoriya's eyes widened and she stood up. "Well, now I'm curious too."

"You're not getting ice cream tonight, Shouto."

The heterochromatic boy stuck his tongue out. "That's an empty threat and you know it."

You groaned. "You're right."

~~~

You stood in the back yard awkwardly. You were shirtless and two barely-teenagers were studying your wings like you were some sort of Guinea pig. You'd have been annoyed if Shouto wasn't having so much fun.

"Haven't you seen them before?" Izuku asked Shouto.

"Not up close. Just seen him spar."

You looked over your shoulder. "If you wanted to, you could have asked."

"Then if you get any new quirks, please show me." Shouto said. You nodded.

"I was thinking that it would be nice to have an invisibility quirk. Maybe an elemental one."

"Can I see all your mutation quirks first?" Izuku asked politely,  while scribbling something in a notebook.

You went through all of your quirks, just as you had during your second day at UA, leaving a dumbstruck tween in your wake. Now, he was practically buzzing with energy,  muttering incessantly as he scribbled more information into the notebook.

You put your shirt back on while listening to Izuku's latest ramble.

"So you can just befriend new spirits and use their quirks? Oh my God you're so lucky. Your quirk has endless possibilities-"

"Yeah it's convenient until a portion of the dead people following you are serial rapists and child killers. Just sucks that most spirits with incredible quirks are villains.

Mrs Midoriya looked horrified. You quickly dismissed her worries.

"They can't interact with anyone besides me and they know that I'd drop them if they touched me against my will. Then they'd be stuck in limbo again, just seeing people and not being able to interact with them."

Izuku stared at you in disbelief. "So you just see ghosts wherever you go?"

You shrugged, genuinely apathetic. "Yeah."

"And that doesn't bother you?"

You looked up, contemplative. "It used to. Now, I'm relatively accustomed to it. Still hate seeing the spirits of people who died in fires though. And it happens more often than I'd like to admit," you grumbled.

"Why don't you befriend the spirits of dead heroes?"

"They usually don't have any regrets tying them to the physical realm we're in. Unless they want to get back at whatever villain killed them. It's also difficult to find them? They often stay attached to their graves rather than where they died."

The boy look fascinated and you rolled your eyes half-heartedly.

"Okay, enough of the morbid curiosity . I don't think your mom appreciates it."

~~~

When you were ready to head home, Mrs Midoriya gave you a business card and a notebook page. "The recipe and my number. I'm sure the boys would like to meet again."

Both Izuku and Shouto nodded and you laughed, ruffling red and white hair. "Definitely. If it's not an imposition, I'm willing to bring him once a week."

Shouto looked up at you, pleasantly surprised.

"How about you Izuku?" Mrs Midoriya asked her son. He hummed a high pitched affirmative.

"We want to analyze fighting styles next!" He exclaimed.

"He wants some footage from your classes so we can analyze yours too."

"How about one of me kicking Endeavor's ass like you said I could?"

Shouto snorted. "Alright. You better prove me right."

Izuku's eyes sparkled. "You know Endeavor?"

You have Shouto a look. It was as if you two could telepathically communicate.

'You haven't told him?'

'Don't want to.'

You cocked your head to the side before mere seconds later, you understood. He didn't want to be treated differently just because of who his dad was.

You squeezed his shoulder with a nod. The smile he gave you was radiant. You wanted to preserve it.

[A/N: I'm writing this whenever I have free time between classes. School is kicking my ass lmao]