Chapter 5 - PROFILE

Late that night, Endeavor was reviewing the security footage for the day. He spent most evenings like this as an excuse to not go home.

He skimmed through the footage for the arena until he saw a large flash of green. He stopped and played the footage at a regular speed.

"What? Are you chicken?" His sidekick provoked the man in front of her. The other wasn't a member of the agency. No. Only one man had that particular shade of (h/c) hair.

"(Y/N)." He mumbled, slightly shocked.

"Fuck no." Endeavor rolled his eyes. It appears his appointee could be quite childish. Though he'd be lying if he said he wasn't curious about what happened next.

As per usual, Burnin' rushed in, guns blazing. You didn't falter, only crouched and dodged. Your movements appeared well coordinated and feral at the same time.

He nearly shot out of his chair when her flames engulfed your torso but calmed himself when he reminded himself of your quirk.

"Healing, fire resistance..." He mused as he saw you casually dodge the beam of fire.

If he'd blinked he would have missed the final blow before Burnin' was rendered immobile.

"And a speed quirk?" He breathed. He pulled your file out if his desk drawer.

"Convict has an extremely powerful quirk. Multiple different quirks can be used at once. Aside from the allegedly borrowed quirks' drawbacks, the convict's own quirk has no restrictions."

Endeavor skimmed through the report, stopping at a therapist's note.

"Patient does not show many anti-social behaviors besides a few commonly found in victims of abuse. The patient doesn't seem to have any particular triggers, though sudden movements from guards unnerve him. He dislikes confrontation and doesn't willing participate in violence but has asked me to appeal to the prison to let him use his quirk. He expresses his concern for the 'spirits' that are tied to him and wants to be able to see and communicate with them. He agrees to be in solitary confinement during this allotted time. Patient is not schizophrenic or a danger to himself or others. He, however, shows symptoms of depression and should continue to receive counseling."

He skimmed to another page in the file, finding testimonies from various guards.

"He hasn't caused any trouble since his arrival. He's more of a magnet for troublesome people than anything else. Admittedly after seeing what he did, most of us were scared of him but he's just a crazy strong kid. Doesn't deserve to be in here in my opinion."

Another letter from a therapist.

"At first glance, the patient appeared distressed over his mother's death. He denied this however, mentioning that he was upset over the satisfaction he was feeling. Patient believes his mother was partially responsible for his imprisonment.

In the same session, the patient expressed his views of mortality. He expressed remorse for three of the murders he'd committed but refused to acknowledge the fourth. When questioned he assured that he didn't find satisfaction in the man's death, but rather regretted that he'd never known justice. To the patient, death appears to be an escape from reality."

Endeavor sighed. He hadn't planned on reading all of this. He usually had his assistant go through the background checks for him. When she came back to report on the contents she looked sullen and expressed that he should hire you but she couldn't ensure that this opinion was unbiased. Well, he'd already traveled down the rabbit hole.

"Today the patient expressed a desire to learn about psychology. He asked me questions related to mannerisms and referenced those of other prisoners who are also receiving councilling. This is the first time the patient has openly talked about his relationships with other inmates. Out of curiosity, I asked these men about their thoughts on the patient and through their responses, I can reaffirm the observation that the patient is incredibly empathetic. He appears to mirror the positive behaviors of others and actively ignores the negative behaviors presented to him. The patient seems to have more trouble identifying his own emotions than others'."

"The patient has a love for learning and continuously mentions his studies. When asked what he would like to do when he was released, he became reserved. Upon further questioning he confided that he was planning on becoming a pro-hero, despite him appearing quirkless before the incident. He admitted to being committed to training during his adolescence. He has not since given up this behavior, spending most of his free time exercising and sparring with Inmate 214. The warden has condoned this behavior given Inmate 214 has had fewer violent outbursts while having this controlled outlet."

Inmate 214. He'd look into them. He closed the file. That explains his proficiency at close combat. That's all Endeavor wanted to know, really.

"I shouldn't pry." He muttered.

~~~

When Endeavor got home, past midnight, he heard muffled conversation coming from the guest bedroom. He knocked on the door.

Shuffling.

You opened the door.

"Oh good evening, Sir. Was I being too loud?"

"Ah no-"

"I was talking to the spirits. They like Burnin'. Says she's pretty cool. You've got yourself an amazing sidekick, Todoroki-san."

"Thank you?-"

"And dinner is in the fridge. Made you some stir fry. Fuyumi says you like it and I sort of made dinner in a hurry. I'll make some thing nicer next time."

Not knowing what to say and honestly slightly unnerved by your constant positivity, given what he'd read, he simply nodded.

"Good night."

"Good night, Todoroki-san. Try to get some sleep." With that, you closed the door.

He didn't know if you were stupid, two faced, or resilient.

He mentally slapped himself.

Why should it matter?