Chapter 20 - CONCEPTUALIZE

"You guys look absolutely fucked," you cackled, after seeing your classmates' clearly hungover faces.

"Oh shut up, old man. You probably went to bed at 8pm after taking your arthritis pills," Aoi muttered.

"Woah. Double whammy," you laughed.

The professor cleared his throat. "We have a guest today to help you prepare for the up and coming tournament. (Y/N) wasn't here for the first half of the year but he'll be obligated to attend regardless. Not that he'll struggle I suppose."

Your classmates made a range of dispaired sounds of protest.

You'd become preoccupied with bickering with them when a pleasant voice said," Oh! It's you!"

You turned, your gaze meeting white rabbit ears. Recognition flashed across your face and you made eye contact with the hero.

"Oh. Hero Mirko. It's nice to meet you," you said, holding out your hand for the woman to grab.

She shook it with two hands. "Didn't get to thank you for holding the villains off that time. And I suppose Endeavor didn't either."

You huffed a laugh. "Of course not. Got bitched at instead."

She frowned then held a finger across her upper lip. Deepening her voice she said, "Don't act like a martyr you dumb bitch. Now heal me peasant."

You tried very hard to reign in your laughter but ultimately failed.

"I mean close enough. I've just never heard him swear before."

Mirko paused, pensive. "You know I don't think I have either."

Mr. Nakamura cleared his throat again.

"She's here to help you to conceptualize your hero suits. I'm sure most of you already have something ideas," the professor stared at you, very clearly indicating that you were not part of that group. You awkwardly scratched your cheek.

Mirko began talking to people individually, speaking a lot louder when she wanted the entire class's input on an idea.

When discussing Misaki's suit, you spoke up.

"You're going to need a large v-cut on the back of the tank top, Misaki. Stretchy material is still going to limit your movement. Also I'd suggest something like an aesthetically pleasing neck brace, that you can easily put on and take off. Maybe a metal collar that elongates or something? When you stretch some of your upper back muscles the muscles in your neck weaken. Would be a pain in the ass to get whiplash every other day. Something to protect your spine would be good too."

Mirko nodded, pleased. Passing Aoi, she stood in front of you.

"Any ideas, Martyr?" She joked. You sighed.

"I don't know. I'd need something durable and fireproof. It'd be  nice if it had metal plating to cover my weaknesses in certain forms. Although, I could probably find a less overt way to cover my weak spots. I don't even know what look I'm going for."

"Let's find you some inspiration. Write me a list of heroes whose costumes you find pleasing to look at. We can work the functionality around it."

You nodded, getting to work.

1. Gang Orca
2. Ectoplasm
3. Gun head
4. Hound dog

"You like suits. But more importantly you like looking like a villain," she observed.

You looked at her, surprised before thinking about it and nodding. "Suppose it just a look in familiar with."

"We can work with that. I'll be here next week again, so show me your planning then."

~~~

At home, you were busy glaring at your notebook. Crumpled up sheets of paper were strewn over your bed.

A knock.

"Come in!" You shouted, not looking up from your notebook.

"Hey, Shouto. You need help with some work?"

The heavy footsteps quickly told you that this was in fact, not Shouto. You looked up.

"Oh. Hi Todoroki-san. How can I help you?"

He didn't reply, instead picking up a paper ball and unfolding it, looking at the frustrated sketch.

"Hero costume?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm having trouble with balancing functionality and looks."

He nodded, looking over your shoulder at your newest sketch.

"The cloak thing is a good idea. Suits you," his deep voice rumbled.

You felt yourself blushing. 'Fucking why (Y/N)?' You despaired.

"I just don't know about the pants. It needs to be stretchy but preferably not spandex," you said.

"There are a lot of materials that can do that. Design the pants however you want," he suggested. You nodded.

"And the shirt? It's going to be pain using certain quirks. I don't know how the wings aren't going to be obstructed by the clothing."

"Do you need a shirt?"

You stared at him incredulously, before it clicked. He's right, you don't really need it.

"Guess not."

He grunted before continuing, "You could make slits in the back of the coat and disguise them with weak velcro strips. When you use that quirk  they should be able to go through. You'd just need to position the slits properly."

You almost slapped yourself for not thinking of that. "Ahh I'm an idiot."

"No. The chains are a nice idea. Pretty fashionable way to hide your weaknesses."

"I...thank you, Sir."

He squeezed your shoulder, before turning, heading for the door.

"Wait, Sir. What did you originally come here for?"

He looked back, over his shoulder, before shaking his head. "I forgot."

A lie. You knew it was. You let him go anyway.

~~~

Endeavor placed the heavy wooden box in a drawer in his office desk later that night. He opened it, taking in the two blades' design. Wholly functional but not especially interesting to look at.

Impersonal.

He could do better.

The box shut with a satisfying thud. Endeavor got to work.