Chapter 31 - COCKTAIL

The booth was large enough for all of you, including Enji who was begrudgingly seated next to you.

He had a strawberry vodka lemonade in his hand and was sipping at it slowly. He seemed to enjoy it.

"You know, I always thought you were a fireball type of guy. Would've suggested the shots if it didn't have pineapple juice in it," you said, sipping on a Jack and Coke.

He grimaced, not very keen on the suggestion. "Don't like pineapple."

You snorted. "I've gathered that."

"So, (Y/N), Mirko told us you're busy studying as a hero," Yawara started a conversation. You nodded.

"Yeah. Only started a few months ago. Joined in June."

"Woah, half way through the year? They let you?"

"Had good recommendations," you said, before realizing how uninteresting the lack of pronouns made you seem. You corrected yourself. "I had good recommendations. Sorry I've picked up Enji's speech patterns."

He gave you a sideways glance, looking unimpressed.

Yawara laughed, a rough, rumbling noise that sounded uncharacteristically pleasant to you. "Who recommended you? Besides Endeavor of course."

You hesitated. "Principal Nezu from UA and he roped another hero into it. Didn't really know who it was until after."

"Ugh no not that entitled asshole," Emi complained.

"I suppose he's a bit arrogant, but for good reason. He's really smart. His fur is also really freaking soft. It's like touching clouds, on God."

"Who's the other hero?" Enji asked, this was news to him. You paled.

"Oh shit, did I not tell you?"

He shook his head, skeptical of your nervousness. "Who."

Less of a question and more of an order. Stern. Ah shit let's hope he doesn't get angry.

"I didn't ask him for it, keep it in mind before you strangle me, Enji," you warned him.

"We're both well aware you're more prone to strangling than I am," he joked, but his gaze told you that he was once again apprehensive.

"It was All Might."

He tensed. "Then why did you need my recommendation," he muttered bitterly. You were honestly surprised he didn't lash out.

"I just wanted a recommendation from my favorite hero. Kinda felt like everything fell into place when you gave me that letter. Like I could ve more than I was before. That I could help people instead of hurt them," you answered honestly. You could admit that your desire for his recommendation had been more emotional than logical.

He looked surprised, before turning away with a terse nod.

Mirko looked at you in wonder.

"By the way, you never did mention what you did before," she said and you frowned.

"I'm sorry, Mirko. I don't really want to talk about it."

"What were you a porn star?" Emi joked, trying to ease the tension. You smirked.

"I suppose that would have been a good fit for my quirk, wouldn't it, Enji?"

The man looked vaguely disgusted. "Don't want to think about that," he said.

"Fair enough," you chuckled.

The conversation shifted to Yu and you and Enji sat in companionable silence as you listened to the conversation between the other heroes.