Chapter 49 - GALA

"This isn't just a 'social event', Enji. It's a fucking gala," you whispered, pulling at the cuff of your dress shirt to make sure it stuck out from beneath your blazer. You pointedly opened the first three button of your shirt and had foregone wearing anything resembling a tie.

Enji frowned at the exposed skin on your torso.

"I'm going for the 'Is he gay or European' look," you said, flashing Enji a cocky smirk. He rolled his eyes.

"You know people are going to think we're dating if our shirts match," you pointed out, while looking through the limo's window.

Enji cocked his head to the side and then looked down at his maroon shirt.

"Are we not?"

Your eyes shot to his, searching. You nodded tentatively. "I guess it's the closest word for it. It's just, are you okay with people knowing?"

Enji looked at you as if you were fucking stupid. "Of course. You're probably the only thing in my life I'm proud of."

You stared at him in awe. "Jesus. Okay. I love you too, Enji."

He looked away, embarrassed but pleased, and said, "We're here. Come on."

He grabbed your hand and pulled you out of the vehicle, stopping in front of a stretch of carpet surrounded by press, flashing cameras, and apparently dozens of fans.

You let out a huff. "Dear God Enji. It's so cliche."

"Yeah, well Best Jeanest is a bit if a traditionalist," he said, ignoring the flashes and screams and...still holding your hand. Your heart lurched but you didn't let it show on your face.

"Who's going to be here again?"

"The top ten? Maybe a few extra heroes as honorable mentions. To be fair, I think all of this is just like. Propaganda?"

You snorted. "Elaborate, please."

"Well, so that heroes are more motivated to work harder and climb the rankings. Can't imagine why you'd even want to be here but whatever. You're making it more tolerable."

You grinned. "I'm an excellent emotional support animal aren't I?"

He looked at you incredulously, before laughing and pulling you through the doors, into the lobby of the hotel. A dozen pairs of eyes turned to you. Endeavor relaxed his posture and you mimicked it, shoving your free hand in your pants pocket.

Your gaze met electric blue and you smiled. The man bounded towards you. Intelligently, he greeted Enji first and for once Enji responded neutrally. He nodded. "All Might."

After recovering from the initial shock of the blatant lack of a scowl or other, Yagi looked at you, beamed, and pulled you into a hug.

Your face was firmly planted in his chest. "I see you've done very well at your internship, (Y/N)! We haven't talked in a while. You should text me more."

You pat his lower back awkwardly, before giving in and hugging him properly. "Hi All Might. I'll try to. Shit has been busy as all hell but I'm enjoying it."

He let go of you and smiled, this time softer, more natural. He pat your back in turn. "That's wonderful news. I'll leave you two be before Todoroki-san skins me alive," he joked, shooting Enji a lopsided grin. Enji looked unimpressed, his arms crossed, but the left corner if his mouth was turned up ever so slightly. Yagi didn't seem to notice.

"Well, uh, that was an entrance," you said, walking further into the room alongside Enji. You lamented the loss of contact as you shoved the other hand into your pocket too.