Chapter 68 - KUROGIRI

After a long, stressful week, the construction at the hideout was finally complete. You stood in the middle of the rubber floored arena and looked around, clearly pleased with your work. Dabi stepped into the arena and stood next to you. He stared at the rustic but aesthetically pleasing furnishings and finishings quizzically.

"You know, I don't get you, Plague."

You looked at him curiously. "What about me is confusing, exactly?"

Dabi ran a hand through his hair, which he hadn't bothered to dye after you found out about his real hair colour. "You're not in it for the money. You're not in it for the death. You're not in it for the power either, otherwise you'd have gotten everyone to turn against the boss. So why do you even bother to do this in the first place?"

You stared at him for a long while, looking into his blue eyes that seemed so hauntingly similar to his father's. And not only in colour. You realised this was an opportunity. "Why do you do it? You're not cruel by nature. I can tell that much. So why choose to be a criminal?"

His gaze flashed with anger and hurt before he sighed. "This isn't a choice. It never was. I was reborn in the criminal underground and now I have to live in it."

You tilted your head, the motion looking rather eerie in your anthropomorphic disguise. "I won't pry any further. But my motives? I need to meet someone in the underground. Someone dangerous. Someone powerful. I needed this place," he gestured at the renovated hideout. "To reflect the desires of a criminal of his calibre."

Dabi narrowed his eyes. "Why...do you want to meet him?"

You stepped closer to him, talking quietly but with clear conviction. "Why does someone like me do anything?"

You paused, letting the question hang in the air for a moment. "Revenge, of course."

That seemed to strike a cord with him and he looked up, his mouth slightly parted. He looked down and licked his lower lip nervously. "I, uh. Me too."

You felt a pang in your chest. You knew exactly who he felt such vehement vindication towards. It hurt, but it was also understandable. And there was a lot you didn't know about Dabi...Touya's story. You placed your hand on his shoulder.

"I've done horrific things in my life. Things I regret. Killing is one of them."

Dabi looked into your red eyes, a flicker of shame flashing over his face. The implications of that left you feeling listless. You sighed and placed your other hand on his other shoulder. "Don't make the same mistake I made. Revenge...revenge feels right. But your don't have to kill to destroy someone. Just, always. Always, before you act, take a long time to consider. What would destroying your target do to the innocent people around them? Or to the world as a whole?"

You took your hands away and began walking out of the arena. Dabi grabbed your forearm, a panicked look on his face.

"How much do you know?"

You stood still for a moment, looking at his trembling hand. This was going to be risky, but you had to take the shot, for Touya's sake. "Enough. Your secret is safe with me. But if you need insurance, here."

You handed him a ring, a thick, golden thing with a ruby in the middle. "The only thing my mother ever gave me. If I betray your trust, you may do what you will. Destroy it. Sell it. But if I don't I'd like you to return it."