Chapter 54 - XMAS

[A/N: Some domestic Christmas fluff. Enjoy :D ]

When you got back that night, Enji was sulking in the kitchen. You leaned in the doorway, smiling at him.

"What's wrong, love?"

Enji looked up and smiled, happy that you'd returned but then went back to sulking. You rolled your eyes but your smile was fond.

"Enji?"

"Am I doing enough?"

You frowned. "I'm not sure I understand," you said, tilting your head with a sympathetic look on your face.

He fidgeted with the empty mug in his hands. "You're going to go undercover and I've just - I've done nothing. You've come to my rescue on two or three occasions. It not fair to you. I should be better than this and even in our daily lives I struggle to give you something that your friend dishes out easily. I've been complacent and letting you call the shots-"

"And you like it," you said, striding forward, your steps unhurried. "You like it when I decide for you but I try my best to not do it to the point that it's uncomfortable. I wasn't the one that decided you would reconcile with Rei. I wasn't the one that decided you should go to therapy. Or the one that decided you should do some soul searching. I only prompted those actions. But you did all that on your own. Those are your accomplishments, not mine."

You took a breath. "You have done so much Enji. You've saved more lives in your career than I've punched people in prison. You exist as a separate entity, Enji. You can't compare yourself to me or anyone else and you remain you even when I'm not there. You're not Enji Todoroki, my partner. You're not Endeavor the Flame Hero. You're just Enji, okay? And as I've said before, that's enough."

He gave you a grateful look, as if not expecting such blatant fondness. Then, he nodded resolutely.

"You probably should touch me more."

You shook your head. "Nuh uh. We don't have to do anything. I don't expect-"

"I want you to. I'm too awkward to initiate it. Too hesitant. And I know you're holding back. You're a tactile man, (Y/N) - you'd be plastered to my side if you didn't think I'd be running for the hills. Decide that for me too, please."

You looked hesitant for a while. Then you stared at the ceiling, as it could give you the fucking answer.

"Okay. Okay fine. But we need a word."

Enji frowned. "A word."

You nodded. "If it gets too much. If you feel I go too far, you use the word and I give you space."

Enji balked. "A safe word? For casual intimacy? I'm not an invalid-"

"This is as much for my peace of mind as yours. Please, En?"

He sighed through his nose and then ducked his head, letting it rest on your shoulder. You played with the hair at the nape of his neck as he said,

"Ambrosia."

"You're a mythology nerd aren't you, Enji?"

He just let out an amused huff. You relaxed. All was well.

~~~

"Enji."

"Rei."

The two stood in front of one another, near the front desk. A nurse looked between the two nervously. You just looked down at your phone, which you had pulled out when the interaction started.

You paused the stopwatch. "You guys have been just staring at each other for two minutes and eleven seconds."

That broke them out of their little moment. Enji looked down at your phone and glared at you. He shoved your smirking face roughly before saying 'piss off' and storming to the car.