Chapter 64 - SPITFIRE

[A/N: Please forgive any typos. I do not have a beta reader and these days I only have time to write at night]

When you stepped into the hideout again, you walked with a confidence that suggested you owned the place.

Popeye glared as you made your entrance, but seemed resigned to his newfound role. That wouldn't do. You didn't want him to be bitter.

As much as your instincts screamed to retain your airtight control, you supposed it'd be best to compromise.

"Oi, Boss," you said, choosing to use the honorific as a name rather than a sign of respect. He noticed and clenched his jaw.

"Yeah?"

"How about you come with me instead of Dabi? He's got training with me when we come back so I want him rested and focused. I'd be wasting my time otherwise."

He was evidently shocked at the news. "What do you want in return?"

Both you and Zack leveled him with near identical frowns.

"Nothing. You'd be working. Earning your keep. All is ask is you try to be tactful, but it's not imperative seeing as we're not dealing with Kure. We'll be meeting with the remaining targets today. The plan has been adjusted somewhat."

"Why?" Dabi asked, thankfully seeming curious rather than skeptical.

'Because I miss your goddamn dad is why,' you thought, but ended up saying, "I'm planning on asking Kure to meet tomorrow or the day after. We'll have some hefty expenses if all goes well."

"What will we be doing?" Albatros asked and you smirked at him.

"A fighting ring. I'm sure Boss would find the prospect agreeable. I plan to disallow any quirk fights. It'll be a novelty. Of course we'll need to make up for the lack of carnage. I don't plan to let anyone die on my watch."

Dabi nodded at Zack. "Why not make him your champion?"

You regarded the young man with a pleasantly surprised look before turning to look down at Zack, who was crouching at your feet. "How does that sound, Stain? If they get to the finals they fight you, and if by some miracle they beat you, they get to face my wrath."

Zack shivered, resting his head against your knee. "Would you like that, Sir?"

You grinned down at him. "Very much."

"Yes please," he mumbled. You pat his head.

"Good boy. Great suggestion, Dabi. I encourage all of you to share your ideas. I will not ridicule any of them unless they entail a blatant disregard for your safety."

Albatros and Saw nodded gratefully at that. Popeye glared at Stain distainfully - hah - and Dabi hummed, a small smile playing on his face.

"Now we better get going, Boss. We're meeting the shitty doctor on exactly fourty three minutes."

He huffed as he stood up, lumbering towards the newly painted car. "Fucking hurry up then."

You snorted but acquiesced, strolling to the car with Zack bubbling with excitement at your side.

~~~

They did not inform you of this. Maybe Yagi doubted your acting skills or something. Fuck if you know the reason behind this shit.

You stared at your fidgety blackmail victim as she handed the case of money to Popeye. He checked the money and nodded, passing a note to you so you could confirm his observation.

At least the money was real. Ah. Maybe that was the reason. They wanted to give you a way to make money in a not-so-illegal way.

Either way this was gonna be a pain in the ass.