Chapter 12 - NEZU

You'd been sort of out of it for the whole week. You were stuck in between not believing your luck and an insane amount of distrust and irrational fear.

But mostly it was hope. And the fear of having that hope taken away from you.

"Is it my fault?" Shouto asked out of the blue.

"What?" You asked incredulously, snapping out of your daze.

"Is it because I said that thing earlier this week?"

"About the-" You blanched. "Oh my God no. I'm going to see someone today and depending on how it goes my whole life could change. So kinda nervous."

"So...you're going on a date."

You groaned. Why was everyone so nosy about your relationship status?

~~~

"Ah! Welcome, (Y/N)." Toshinori-san said.

"Yeah. I'm sorry for being late. Got lost and had to ask a first year for help. Honestly surprised I even managed to pull off a successful escape. But to be fair I just punched a hole through the walls until I was outside."

Toshinori looked a bit uncomfortable. You mentally slapped yourself.

"I'm sorry Toshinori-san. I'm taking the piss."

"No I understand, young man. Just in here." He pointed at the heavy, wooden, twin doors. You took the liberty of opening the door and smiled indulgingly, gesturing for Toshinori to head inside with a slight nod of your head.

Once you were both in the principal's office you were...surprised.

A little white creature sat behind the large wooden desks. It threw its arms up into the air as it spoke.

"Am I a bear? A mouse? A dog? Nobody knows!"

The, uh, man, jumped onto the desk, wearing a little black suit with a red tie. You schooled your expression. As much as you wanted to melt into a puddle from the cuteness, you figured that would piss the guy off.

"Does it matter?" You asked, and the mouse-bear stared directly at you, the scar over his eye on full display. "I'm more interested in your name, Sir."

He muttered something into his furry fist  - oh my God toe beans - and then turned to you once more, smiling brightly.

"I'm principal Nezu!" He announced. You recall his name from when you were almost religiously analyzing pro heroes a few years back. Though you couldn't find any pictures without internet. You'd often just draw diagrams, but he ended up looking a lot more rat-like in your depiction.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir." You extended your hand and he shook it with two unbelievably soft paws.

Fuck the cuteness aggression is overpowering.

Though your face was emotionless, Nezu frowned and took a step back. His little black nose scrunched upwards.

"Your scent is rather intimidating. Are you angry?" He asked.

"No, Sir. Just frustrated with myself. No need to worry. Sorry that I stink of it."

The chimera nodded and sat down, motioning for you and Toshinori to do the same. Shortly after, he started rummaging in a drawer and pulled out a stack of paperwork.

"Let's get the boring stuff out of the way so we can have an actual conversation!" He seemed excited, though you felt like most of it was a front. What's up with pro heroes and thinking they have to be happy all the time?

"This is the non-disclosure agreement.  Toshinori isn't very good at forethought so I present you with this!" He plopped it down in front of you. You quietly started reading.

Classified information about Yagi Toshnori's life or career cannot be communicated in any way, whether this be through sign language, verbally, by the use of a quirk or through other non-verbal means.

You nodded. Makes sense.

(Y/N) (L/N) may not use this information against Yagi Toshinori, whether this is during combat, sparring, corporate competition, etc.

How would you even managed that?

(Y/N) (L/N) may not tell anyone or anything about this NDA.

You can work with that.

If (Y/N) (L/N) breaks any of these conditions, he will be tried and fined ¥1 000 000 along with facing up to seven years in prison for reckless endangerment.

You froze. Hah. Toshinori seemed to realize what part of the document you were on because he looked away guiltily. No way this was his doing. You looked up at the principal. Sneaky little weasel.

The fine print was humane enough and you proceeded to grab the pen and sign what could very well become your next prison sentence.

All Might glanced at you incredulously, and you offered him a weak smile in return.

"Young man, you don't-"

"Of course I do. Fuck, if I was anyone else, I could have been the reason for you dying already. I mean, shit. I know a lot about you, Sir. And that's from me just glancing at your information. If I dug any deeper I'd know where your arch nemesis lived or something. Not ideal."

Toshinori reluctantly relented with an ashamed not of his head.

"Stop blaming yourself for everything, goddammit. This is shit rookies blame themselves for."

Toshinori flinched at that. You groaned.

"Christ I don't mean it like that. You know I'm starting to think my man child if an employer is rubbing off on me."

Toshinori snorted and your phone buzzed in response.

Speak of the fucking devil.

You answered. "Sir?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm sorry, Sir. I did let your secretary know that I'd be out with acquaintances while Shouto was training."

There was a tense pause.

"Shouto?"

"He asked me to, Sir. Do you forbid it?"

"It's fine. Let me know personally when you take time off work."

"Will do, Sir. I wanted to tell you yesterday but you stayed at the agency the whole night. Did you get any sleep?"

Silence.

"Take care of yourself, Sir. You hardly sleep five hours as is. You can't pull all nighters."

"No. Yesterday was an...exception."

That's unreasonably cryptic. Wait. You thought about the emergency rescue situation you'd seen on the TV that afternoon. A fire in an apartment building. Fire quirk users seemed to be the only ones that could safely run into the building and reach the elevator, where the remaining tenants were stuck. They couldn't go down the stairs because they were carpeted and were set alight too.

When pro heroes finally reached them, most had died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Those that had not, passed at the hospital some time later. Your face contorted into a sympathetic look of understanding.

"I should have gone to the agency last night, Sir. I'm sorry."

"What are you on about?-"

"You're still an incredible rescue hero, Sir."

You could tell by the way his breath hitched that he was both shocked and outraged.

"You dare-"

"Just go out there and save as many people as you can. The universe tries to keep shit in equilibrium, but I say to hell with that. To hell with fate. Go and fuck up that equilibrium, Sir. For the better." You paused. "And then come home on time tonight. I'm grilling meat and I'll eat all the ribs if you're late."

The pro hero huffed at the other end of the line. Another laugh. Ye olde sour-puss was on a roll.

"Don't you dare." He threatened, half-heartedly and ended the call.

"Now that that's settled," You breathed. "You mentioned a conversation, Principal Nezu."