Chapter 27 - CHICKEN

Enji stopped in his tracks when he saw the war zone that had once been his kitchen.

He looked at you for answers, finding that rather than the floor, you'd taken the brunt of the attack. Flour and eggs covered every square inch of your clothing. You had a shrieking Shouto in your grip - the boy struggling uselessly as you transfered raw egg from your face to his hair.

"What?" Was all the man managed to croak out. Thoroughly confused.

You looked up and cackled at his stupefied face. "Oh God. I'm so sorry Enji," you managed in between chuckles. "We finished baking the cake and then the bag of flour tipped over and we tried to clean it up before you got here so that the house wouldn't explode when you got home but Shouto instigated a food fight."

"Hey! Don't blame me for this, it's on you too," Shouto accused, pointing a flour covered finger at you.

"He's throwing me to the dogs, Enji. Kid has no loyalty, I swear," you tried to sound vindictive but your tone didn't leave any room for malice.

Enji rubbed a hand over his face. "Just clean it up," he mumbled, wholly exasperated.

You and Shouto looked at each other before snickering and then sighing at the mess.

"Get ready to use some elbow grease, bud."

Shouto groaned. "Fiiiine."

~~~

The apology cake was a good idea. Not only because it seemed to now be an inside joke between you two, but because you learned that Enji loved chocolate.

That or Mrs Midoriya's recipes are magic.

You were alone with Enji again, the kids deciding to finish up work or relax or 'take a fucking piss' as Natsuo had so eloquently put it.

"Hey Enji?"

A hum. An unspoken 'continue'.

"Can you stop paying me?"

He looked up, skeptical.

"I have enough money saved now - enough for my hero suit and something extra - so I figured my pay can just be living and eating here."

"I can afford it," he muttered plainly. You rolled your eyes.

"Obviously but that's not what it's about. It's about me doing the shit I do because I want to. Not because I'm being paid."

He frowned, as if the notion itself was stupid. "We can tell."

You almost let out a frustrated groan. "And here I thought you were a man of action. People usually believe you care quicker when you show it to them. Words are words. Actions take time and thought."

He seemed to genuinely think about it. "Fine. But I'm paying for your hero suit."

You balked at the idea. "Nuh-uh. That's six months of pay. Not happening."

"I can afford it."

You willed yourself to not raise your voice, because you weren't really angry. "No shit but I don't want to be more of a charity case than I already am."

"I feel like this argument is unnecessary," Enji said. And damn. That might've been the most profound thing he's ever said. Also he talked about how he feels. Would the sky start falling today?

You sighed. "Ugh. You're right. Just, it's important to me. To definitely be able to say I'm doing shit because I want to and not because I'm supposed to. And it's just as important for me to be independent. It's a freedom I didn't have in prison."

Understanding dawned on Enji's ridiculously handsome face. He nodded. "Okay."

You were almost happy but he had to go and ruin it.

"Let's spar. If I win, you stop getting a salary but I pay for your suit. If you win you get to be stubborn."

There was an almost teasing lilt in his voice and as much as you wanted to scowl, your face broke out in a competitive grin.

~~~

"No quirks," was all Enji said before he lunged at you. It was downright terrifying - having a fucking wall of muscle hurtle towards you. You sidestepped but stumbled a bit, cursing.

You'd only just lowered yourself into a fighting stance and Enji was already attacking again. You were both wearing casual t-shirts and sweatpants, which made your next move a whole lot easier.

You baited him, and when he lunged, you allowed him to grapple you. You, in turn, grabbed the collar of his shirt and planted your feet in the juncture between his hips and thighs, rendering him partially immobile.

Though, like the monster he was, he managed to stand up, grabbing your waist and literally fucking crushing you against him.

You could feel your ribs creak, and you knew that this had become more than a spar. Because Enji knew that you could heal any injuries you inflicted on each other.

Shit. This was going to be rough.

The training area under the house was spacious, with regrettably no vantage points. Nothing to climb. To throw.

You were out of your element.

You looked around, eyes landing on grey and blue irises. The boy had his phone out, no doubt recording the exchange. "Agh seriously, Shouto?"

"We promised Izuku-kun," was all he said.

You huffed a pained laugh and turned to stare into Enji's eyes. "I'm sorry. Now I really have to kick your ass."

You hit the bottom of his nose with the heel of your palm. Hard. The pressure around your ribcage lessened with a pained grunt from Enji. You doubled down and hit the bridge of his nose with your elbow.

He let go and stumbled back, reactionary tears stuck to his eyelashes. You put some ground between two of you and saw Enji bring his hand to his bleeding nose. He looked at his blood fingers before turning to you. His grin was feral.

God this was the only thing from prison you missed.

"He looks good covered in blood," a voice behind you said. You didn't bother to turn. His quirk was dangerous - one you'd only use during rescues and when your life was in danger.

He was also a man of taste. Which is why you found yourself agreeing despite his transgressions.

"He does, but you better not touch me, Heinrich," you threatened. The blond man raised his hands, trying to appear non-threatening. Failing.

"Wouldn't dream of it. His death would be an injustice," the spirit licked his lips. You found yourself very annoyed, despite having no right to be.

Enji looked angry now. "If you're done with your conversation, I suggest you attack," he then smirked - almost knowingly - before saying, "Or are you chicken?"