Chapter 41

"Come back in an hour."

The Grand Duke shouted out in an annoyed voice.

It was because his routine was to go to his office after putting me to sleep anyway.

"I'm sorry, but it's really urgent."

It was tactless of Cahill to interrupt our time together.

If it's Cahill, then maybe it's an important matter....

"Dad, there must be something wrong. Please listen to him."

I waved and urged the Grand Duke.

Then I saw Grand Duke's forehead frown, then he got up from his seat with a sigh.

"I'm sorry. I'll be right back."

He turned the book he was reading over against the bed still open to the page we left off on. The appearance of his back while walking to the door was cold and frustrated.

'If the news from Cahill isn't so important, will he be in big trouble......?'

I glanced at the Grand Duke and came down from the bed. I couldn't even read the book by myself, so I was thinking of going to spy on their conversation first.

As I snuggled up, hugging the fluffy rabbit doll Tutu, I saw Cahill with a serious face through the gap of the open door.

"Viscount Voldewon and Baron Elgar are visiting now. They said that there is a problem with the territory."

"Is this a serious problem?"

"He said he has been helpless because of his illness. He wants Vaillot to help somehow."

"Did the doctor figure out the cause?"

"Not yet."

The expressions of the Grand Duke and Cahill were dumbfounded. I couldn't understand the content of the conversation and opened my eyes wide.

'You said they visited late at night to get help from my dad about his illness? Even if Dad doesn't know anything about the illness?'

Looks like this situation is a bit weird.

According to the manners I have studied, nobles never visit other people's homes late at night without prior notice.

That meant that a very difficult situation arose, enough to risk behaving disrespectfully.

Even the Grand Duke seemed to think it was definitely something that serious.

"Where did you lead them?"

"I guided them to the first reception room. The Grand Duke is waiting there."

(T/N: The 'Grand Duke' Cahill is referring to here is not the Grand Duke Vaillot. The author used the term 대공자님 which means 'decided heir of a family' while the Grand Duke Vaillot is 대공님. In conclusion, it is another person of another manor/noble family.)

Upon hearing Cahill's answer, the Grand Duke turned his head and looked at me, while holding his breath and hesitating to give me an answer.

"I'm sorry, I can't read more today."

"Are people here? Can I go too?"

I opened my eyes widely, asking the Grand Duke.

However, even if I stared at him with glistening eyes, or held his sleeve and shook it, he wouldn't let me.

"It's too late. You have to go to bed."

Instead, the Grand Duke lifted me up and put me on the bed. It's as if putting me to sleep at this time is his main mission.