Five

|||

I quickly moved forward and almost fell to the concrete ground but I steadied myself and spun around with a glare shot at the car that stopped. I raised my hand above my head in a questioning manner and raised an eyebrow when the car reversed and stopped in front of me.

"What the fuck?" I whispered and stared at the tinted window of the car.

The door of the driver's side opened and the first thing I saw was a foot wearing a brown brogue shoe. I took a step back when a man came out of the car. He was tall, muscular, and had brown hair that was swept back in a neat style. Around his jawline was a perfectly shaped beard.

The man was good-looking, I would admit it. He stood tall in a tight dress shirt and dress pants. He raised his eyes to meet mine and his were a light shade of brown with some flecks of green in them.

When he shut the door of his car, his face morphed into one of worry.

"Are you okay?" He asked and I sighed.

"You should not be driving at such speed on campus. You could knock someone down, that's if you haven't already," I said and turned around to leave but he rushed in front of me, startling me.

"I'm so sorry for almost hitting you. I wasn't looking," he said and I eyed him up and down.

"Well, don't do it again. Now, get out of the way. I'm late for class," I lied and he looked over his shoulder at the building.

"You're in the faculty of engineering?" He asked, looking back at me.

"Yes," I answered and brushed past him.

"Cool. I'm in this faculty too," he said behind me.

I didn't care what he was saying. I had to get to my professor's office to submit my homework.

"I'm Matt!" He hollered behind me and I simply shook my head.

"Don't care," I said to myself and climbed the steps of the building.

|||

After one of my classes, I made my way to the park at the back of my faculty building. I sat on an empty bench and opened a book. My phone rang in my bag which I pulled out. I smiled when I saw it was from Andrea and I quickly answered the call.

"Hey, Andrea. What's up?" I asked and leaned onto the desk attached to the bench.

"I'm good. Are you in school now?" She asked.

"Yes. Why do you need something?"

"I just wanted us to hang out. But if you're not free, I'll understand," she said and I chuckled.

We started getting close over the two months that had passed. Not that we were close friends, we just became close in the sense that we left behind our differences and the fact that I was dating Lucas who she used to like. I was surprised about her maturity but after what Maddy did, I was still keeping her at arm's length.

"Yeah. I'm at the back of my faculty," I replied and she hummed.

"Give me ten minutes and I'll be there," she said and the call ended.

I dropped my phone and flipped through my book. I pulled out a textbook from under it and opened it too then read through it in concentration.

I didn't know how much time had passed but I flinched when someone dumped some stacks of books on the desk. I shut my eyes for a brief second and opened them to stare up at the person. I froze at the sight of the guy that almost ran into me with his car.

"What are you doing here?" I asked and he smiled.

"Can I sit?" He asked and I grimaced.

"What do you want?" I asked, my eyes narrowed.

He shrugged and sat down beside me without my permission. I rolled my eyes and faced my books.

"So, what's your name?"

"I'm reading," I replied tersely.

"Your name's reading?" He asked and I looked at him. He had confusion on his face. His eyebrows were knitted together and his lips upturned.

"Tsk, you're bothering me and I'm trying to read here," I replied and he smiled.

"Come on," he said and placed his hand on my book. "Can I make it up to you for almost running into you?"

"No... I don't even know you. Look, I'm not interested," I curtly said and pushed his hand away from the book.

The guy sighed beside me and I hoped he was going to leave but I gritted my teeth when he opened his book and started drumming his pencil on the opened book.

I tried to tune out what he was doing but to no avail. I grabbed the pencil from him and pointed it in his direction. He tilted his head back with his hands up in surrender.

"Whoa, there."

"What do you want?"

He smiled. "Your name and for you to forgive me."

I exhaled and opened my mouth to reply to him but shut my mouth when Andrea approached our bench. She smiled brightly and waved at me, ignoring the guy beside her.

"Hey," she said and looked at him.

I watched as Andrea's face went from blank to surprise. Her eyes widened and I could have sworn she blushed when he looked at her.

"H-Hi," Andrea said, still looking at him.

"Hi," he said and looked at me.

"Who's this?" Andrea asked and I hoped deep within me that she would not mention my name.

"I don't—"

"I'm a friend," he said, cutting me off and I glared at him.

"Oh, I'm Andrea. You are?"

"Matt. Matt Jefferson," he answered.

Oh, that was his name. I had forgotten what his name was after he told me earlier on. It wasn't my fault though, he didn't stick to my head in the first place. I wasn't expecting to meet him again.

I rose to my feet and packed up my books, then went out off the bench. I grabbed Andrea's hand and dragged her away, while Matt laughed to himself. He was crazy.

"He's handsome," Andrea dreamingly said beside me, her eyes over her shoulder.

"I've seen better," I said and she giggled.

"I like him," she said and I hummed.

"Good for you. Let's go to the cafeteria, I'm hungry," I said and Andrea nodded.

A/n: Who is Matt and will he be good news or bad news?