Twenty-Six

I wanted to pretend like I had not heard Cindy speak but the weight of the issues on the ground would not let me act like I didn't care. So, I took in a deep breath and faced them fully, my face blank. I ignored Lucas' stare as I walked up to the table and dropped the things I held on the table. I smiled and slowly turned my head to look at Lucas.

"What is this bitch saying, Lucas?" I asked through gritted teeth and he looked at the bowl of baby food before him.

"You heard me and don't call me a bitch, bitch."

I poked the inside of my cheek with my tongue as I fought the urge to get across the table to smack Cindy in the face. I chose to clench my hands and continued to stare at Lucas while waiting for a response from him.

"What's the point of asking him? I told you that Lucas can never be loyal. He's not a one-woman man. Besides, did you think that after what you did to our baby, I would allow you to stay in this place?"

I chuckled drily. "So, you told him to kick me out?"

I glared at Cindy. She shrugged and waved her hand in Lucas' direction.

"I didn't do anything. He was the one who decided such while we were at the hospital. What? Did you think I am as evil as you? Aw, poor thing."

I was still stunned that the man I loved was staying mute while she spoke to me in such a tone and manner. Feeling fed up with what I was seeing, I stood straight and grabbed the things I had dropped, and nodded my head.

"Fine. Since you two are now the new IT couple and can make decisions without my knowledge, I won't argue with you two." I faced Lucas, then approached him. "You are testing my patience. I am one step from walking out of this relationship."

I noticed him fist his hands and clench his jawline which I didn't care about. With a scoff, I walked out of the kitchen and went straight to our bedroom. I slammed the door and dumped my stuff on the closest table. My heart was beating fast while it ached from the sadness I was feeling. I hated what was happening. I could not believe that Lucas could change all in the span of a few hours. It made me curious about where he had been standing when Cindy walked into our lives.

As my anger heightened, I felt the need to leave the house so I took out my phone and texted Evangeline, letting her know I will be coming over.

After hitting send, I left the room and made my way downstairs. I met Lucas and Cindy at the entrance of the kitchen and glared at them before walking to the door.

"Where are you going?" Lucas asked, making me square my shoulders.

"Eva's."

With that, I left the house and marched out of our courtyard to Elizabeth's. I knocked before opening the door. I walked into the place and found her sitting in front of her TV. She got up and rushed over.

"Are you okay?"

I had nothing to say and wrapped my arms around her waist, needing comfort.

"I'm tired of love," I said against her shoulder.

|||

It was almost midnight and I had not slept, as well as Evangeline. We were watching a series, trying to get my mind off the issues on the ground. We heard a knock on the door and we looked at each other in confusion.

Evangeline shrugged and got up then walked over to the door. She checked the peephole and stepped away.

"It's Lucas and—"

"Open the door, Evangeline!" Lucas ordered from the other side.

"Let him in," I said.

"Really? You want to entertain him after what he did?" Evangeline was sounding as if she was about to get extremely angry.

I sighed. "Just let him in. If he has something to say to me, he needs to say it on time so I can decide if I want to be single or not."

Evangeline shook her head in disbelief before opening the door. Lucas stepped into the house, brushing past her. He made eye contact with me for a second before getting closer. He stood in front of the TV, staring down at me while I kept my gaze on his thigh.

"We need to talk."

"I'm close by. If he does anything stupid. I'll call Quirky for him," she said and crossed the room, using the steps.

After a few seconds, Lucas sat beside me and sighed. I wrapped my arms around my waist, keeping my bump warm.

"Jackie... Are you okay?"

"Is the sky blue?" I retorted and he sighed again.

"I'm sorry... Fuck, where do I begin?" He readjusted on the couch. "I just want you to trust me."

"Trust you?" I looked at him incredulously, then chuckled. "Boy, if you don't get the fuck out of here with that bullshit."

Lucas scooted closer and grabbed my hand. I wanted to yank it out of his but he held it tighter.

"Just let me explain... I'm sorry for the way I spoke to you hours ago. I would never do or say anything to intentionally hurt you. The thing is I want you to trust me. I'm trying to find out something and being this way toward you is all an act."

Shock took over my body and mind. I blinked at him and gaped. Was he serious or was this some sort of lie he was telling?

"What?" I responded and he nodded.

"The thing is, I want you away from Cindy. I don't trust her. You and I know that if we tell her to move out, she won't listen and she would hire thugs to attack the place I pay for her, just like she did before."

I was weak from what he was saying— Flabbergasted even. I had to turn my whole body on the couch to be fully invested in what he was saying.

"I was able to find out that Cindy had hired people to thrash the place I paid for her just so she could come to stay with us. I don't trust or like Cindy and the only way I can protect you and our baby is to act like I have issues with you."

I wanted to slap the shit out of Lucas for playing me.

A/n: There is no way I will make our favorite characters go through the same thing from book 1.