Forty-Nine

Lucas' POV

Day and night, every passing hour, Jackie was all I thought about. I knew she was hurt and it hurt me that I did that. I felt stupid for breaking up with her just to protect her, to protect our future, to protect my little family. I felt as if I was not man enough. I could have just told her everything, down to Henry's wicked ways of living but I was scared. I was scared of him finding out that she knew about him, about everything that I knew about him.

I still wished Jackie wasn't pregnant, that way she could handle herself more without me worrying. Secondly, I was going to miss out on a lot of things during her pregnancy. In at least three months, she was going to give birth to our baby. I don't think I can stay away from her then. I cannot miss welcoming my child into this world. This cruel world. He wasn't even born but I wish he would grow up without knowing any of the evil the world has put me and his mother through.

At the sound of the meeting ending, I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up at Henry at the head of the table. Two months ago, I stormed into his office and demanded that I have a position in the company. He had been stubborn about it and after two days, he granted me the request. I only worked with the other staff, learning the ways of the company as if I was an intern. I had a feeling that Matt was the reason why I worked here. It was as if Henry was being controlled by him because Henry would never allow anyone come close to his position.

"The next meeting will be next week Wednesday," Henry said and the executives murmured among themselves before walking out of the conference room.

I sat still, staring at Henry with the same anger and hatred in me. I glanced at Matt who was at the door, staring at me. With a snort, I rose to my feet and gathered my laptop and copy of meeting's document. I pushed my seat back, ignoring their heavy stares on me. I walked past Henry and spared him a quick look before going to the door where Matt was still standing.

I eyed him with a burning dislike for him in my heart then walked out of the room and into the hallway. As I walked, I heard footsteps behind me. I didn't need to turn to know who it was. The bastard has been looking for ways to corner me but I always ignored him. He had chosen his path and I had no time or strength to waste on him. Axel was a better half-brother than he ever would be.

"Stop right there, little brother."

I froze and glared ahead of me then slowly turned around. I raised an eyebrow at him and he approached me. He stopped a foot away from me, arms crossed and a cocky smile on his face.

"You don't belong here, you know. Your presence in every meeting and in every corner of this building irritates me. You don't know jack shit about business. I mean, what do you even know about business? You're lucky I let you work here with your ignorance. All you know is how to drive sports cars, live in big houses and fuck women, even getting one pregnant beca---"

I grabbed him by his collar of his dress shirt and pulled him close to me, our nose brushing. Hot rage was burning my body and mind at the utterance he had made.

"Don't you ever talk about Jackie like that, you son of a bastard," I said hotly, in his face and he chuckled.

"Truth hurts, huh... Listen, you fool. All we need from you is that share and you getting kicked out of this place. I don't want your presence in this company. You are a pain in the ass."

I smirked. "You and that dick head should have known before forcing me here. Kicking me out of my race clubs and trying to tamper with my shares. Oh, you don't know the lengths I will go to take or protect what's mine."

He pushed me away and adjusted his shirt with a pained look on his face. He pointed at me with a grimace while I smirk wider.

"You don't want to know the lengths I can also go," he said in a deeper and angrier voice. "Choose your decisions wisely or you will regret everything."