Fifteen

|||

Lucas had not come home quickly as he had said. It was already dawn and there was no sign of him. He had only sent a text, saying he would be back soon. Now, it was seven in the morning and I was in the kitchen, making breakfast.

As soon as I poured myself some milk, the front door opened and I heard footsteps. I didn't bother saying anything until I saw Lucas walk into the kitchen with clothes different from what he had worn earlier. In my head, I became suspicious.

"Good morning," I said and he smiled at me.

"Hi," he said, sounding tired. He approached me and leaned against the island behind me.

"So, how's the baby?" I asked and turned around with my glass of milk.

"He had a serious fever. I kinda slept off on a couch at the hospital and woke up a few minutes ago. I was so tired of everything that's been happening lately. I'm so sorry if this is affecting you. If this child ends up being mine, it's going to be hard because Cindy is trying to seduce me."

I almost choked on my milk when I started to sip on it. I was surprised he was saying this to me but then again, Lucas loved me enough to not hide anything from me. He shows me texts and the phone numbers of girls who approach him during his usual late-night races. It was hilarious.

"What?" I was still surprised.

"It's funny because she thinks just because we might have a child together, that I'll accept her as mine when I have a woman I'm in love with. One that is pregnant and the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

I smiled and walked over to him. I lifted the glass of milk to his lips and he drank out of it then wrapped his arms around me.

"Do you have plans for today?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm supposed to meet up with my schoolmates for some project at one of their houses," I replied and stepped back.

"Will you be busy all day?"

"I don't think so. What do you have planned though?"

"I want us to have a movie night with Axel and Barry. You can even invite your friend next door," he said.

I was already excited about the idea and I couldn't wait. But before that, I had to endure Matt's presence at his place since the group meeting was taking place there.

"Alright," I said and he smiled at me.

|||

I drove along the empty street of Matt's neighborhood. It was just like every other rich neighborhood I was used to seeing so I wasn't surprised but what made me more surprised was the fact that it was just close to our old apartment where Axel now lived with his partner.

I spotted his house number and slowed down before driving into his compound. I saw his car and wondered if the others had arrived, I didn't want to be alone with him. I parked behind his car and turned off the engine.

Before leaving the vehicle, I unfastened my seatbelt and grabbed my backpack. I locked it and strolled toward the front door which opened. Matt stepped out, wearing a simple graphic T-Shirt and sweatpants. He waved at me and I did the same.

"Welcome to my humble abode," he said, bowing slightly. "Come in."

I ignored his greeting and stepped into the house. His living room was large with three leather couches and a large TV hung on the wall above a fake fireplace. I walked further and saw a kitchen on my left.

"It's a small place," he said.

I internally facepalmed. What was with rich people believing their house was small? Lucas even believed ours was small when it was like a huge modern-styled mansion. There was space in every room and I had stopped arguing with him over the size of the house.

"Let me take your bag," he offered and I handed him my backpack and then walked toward the living room.

Matt dropped it on a couch in the living room and turned to me.

"I need your help," he said. "I was trying to make cookies for us to use as lunch when the meeting is on but I'm still not done. So, can you help me out?"

I glanced at the kitchen and saw bowls, flour bags, and some other baking things on the table in the center of the kitchen.

"I came here for the group meeting but since it seems like the others aren't here yet, I'll while away time by doing that," I said and Matt beamed.

"Awesome. Come on," Matt said, walking past me to the kitchen.

I followed him and took in the clean grey-themed place. At least he was a clean person.

"So, what have you done?" I asked, eyeing the empty bowl.

"Nothing yet," he said and grabbed the bag of flour.

"You could help me set out the ingredients needed."

I went over to the sink and washed my hands.

Some minutes later, we were mixing everything up in silence. Well, I had been mixing in silence while he talked about how he started college and how he was going for a master's degree in the same field. I wasn't interested.

As I stretched my hand out to grab the cup of flour, he stretched his hand out at the same time which caused the melted chocolate he held to spill onto the sleeve of my shirt.

"Shit, I'm so sorry. I am so fucking clumsy," he said and grabbed my hand which made me tense. He started dabbing the chocolate with the edge of his apron and when his warm hand got a bit tighter around my wrist, I moved my hand out of his, feeling uncomfortable.

"Where's your restroom?" I asked, not meeting his eyes and keeping it on my stained sleeve.

"Go down the hall to your left and take a right, you will see a door at the end of the hallway," he said and I nodded my head and went around the table.

I could feel his eyes on my back. There was something about that man which didn't sit right with me. Maybe it was because our first time wasn't welcoming or it was my lack of trust issues.

As I followed the directions he gave to me, I took the right turn while pinching my sleeve upward. I grimaced at the stain, knowing the shirt was condemned. I was too focused on my wrist that I did not know when I collided with something. I gasped in fear, thinking I may have broken something when I looked down. There was a picture frame laying on the floor with the back facing me. I gulped, hoping that it had not cracked.

I looked over my shoulder for some seconds to hear any footsteps and when I didn't, I bent down and picked the frame. I quickly turned it around and exhaled in relief when I saw no cracks.

Out of interest, I focused on the picture. It was a beach picture with a shirtless older man in the picture. I furrowed my eyebrows when my mind made me feel like I have seen him before. It was hard to pinpoint but I felt like there was somewhere I had seen him. It bothered me how I could not put a name on the face but when I heard a clang coming from the kitchen, I dropped the picture and walked toward the other end of the hallway with the thought of the man in the picture, in my head.

A/n: Who do you think is in the picture since Jackie feels as if she has seen the person before?