Forty-Three

Lucas' POV

I was beginning to regret having this girl in on my plan. I could tell she was attracted to me. And it was not going to be good if I wanted us to be partners under the family company. All I wanted was to have people on my side and not catch an infidelity case.

Something told me Jackie had heard her speak because when I returned to the call, it had ended. I was worried that she overhead what Maddie had said to me, and I knew I was in deep shit. Looking back at the girl sitting on the couch across my bed, I began to think the name Maddie was cursed.

"So, I spoke to my dad about it, and he says he is aware of the meeting back at Hamilton Inc. He told me he isn't interested in selling his shares to anyone but when I mentioned that you were Lucas Hamilton, he became shocked. He said something about you finally coming to your senses. Do you know my dad or something?"

I perked up at the last few words she had uttered. I didn't know who her father was, so it was surprising to me how the man spoke of me with such familiarity.

"No, I don't," I replied and shrugged. "Maybe he knows my dad." The real one.

Maddie tilted her head to the side in thought before returning her gaze to me.

"Strange. But he says he wants to speak with you. He isn't in New York right now, but he says that you have to call him today."

Maddie rose from the couch and came over to where I was sitting on the bed. She sat beside me and handed me a business card. On it was her father's name and contact information.

"Call him in ten hours' time. He will be free, and he will know you're the one calling."

"Thank you, Maddie," I said, smiling.

She blushed and she tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear then bowed her head. I rolled my eyes away from her and stared at the white card between my fingers. A warm touch on my knee made me flinch and when I look toward the source of warmth, I saw Maddie's hand on my knee. My skin underneath my pants pricked at her touch. Out of the discomfort I was feeling, I moved my thigh, effectively taking her hand off me.

"Sorry," she muttered.

I took a deep breath. I didn't want to lead her on. Me faking to be her boyfriend was for her crazy ex to leave her alone but if she thought I was attracted to her, she needed to wake up from her dreams.

"Listen, Maddie," I started to say. "About this... us... If you're having any kind of feelings for me, you need to stop. Listen, I have a girlfriend and in five months I will be a father."

I heard her gasp and I hesitantly looked at her. She looked hurt and I felt bad. I only hoped me saying all of these wouldn't make me lose the support I had.

"I'm glad you told me, Lucas." She got up and exhaled hard. "I mean, you're a nice guy, good looking and everything. I seriously don't like you like that, and I just had a tiny bit of crush because you're so awesome and cool, especially after defending me in front of Darrell."

I swallowed and stood too. I played with the card between my hands before smiling widely at her. Glad that she understood me.

"I hope this doesn't affect our business deal."

"Oh, gosh. No, it doesn't. My feelings aren't important right now. What's important is getting what you want and getting Darrell off my back." She held my arm and squeezed it. "You're a good guy."

I bit my lip. "Well, I may not be now because when you came in, I was on a call with my girlfriend and I think she heard us, well you."

Maddie gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. Her eyes were wide and in them was worry and a distant look, most likely thinking back to what she had said.