Forty-Seven

Jackie's POV

As I turned my head on the bed, I felt a dull headache and forced my eyes open, chasing the heavy feeling of sleep way. My eyelids were heavy and narrowed, as well as swollen. Dry crusts were pinching my eyes and my throat felt like I swallowed sand. I remembered crying before I slept all because of Lucas. My heart ached once again when I remembered why.

He was cheating on me.

I wanted to still believe he wasn't cheating but when bad boys fell, trouble followed. I wanted to hate myself so much for being so careless with him, with my heart, with my body. I fell hard for his charms and now he was cheating, with a girl that was the type of girls he hung out with in high school and possibly in college; pretty, popular and rich.

I pushed the images forming in my head away and rolled over to my other side. My waist felt heavy, and my bulging stomach made me feel uncomfortable. As the days clocked by, the changes from my pregnancy became more prominent. Every part of my body felt weighty.

My eyes spotted my phone peeking from under the pillow my head was resting on. I was itching to pick it up to see if there was a text from my boyfriend or I was going to go another day without one. I sighed and picked up the phone then unlocked it. I connected to the house's Wi-Fi and waited for a roll-out of notifications. My eyes read every drop of notifications on my phone and when they stopped coming in, I sighed with a fast-thumping heart. Lucas did not still send a text or even left a missed call.

I sat up and stared at the window facing me with hardened eyes. I wanted to call him so badly, but I didn't want to. I wanted him to be the one to contact me first. Partially, I was scared of what he might tell me. Part of me believed that he would probably end up telling me he cheated, and I was scared to hear it.

I shook my head and forced myself to my feet. I had a class to attend this morning. I was already behind on so many classes. I was losing focus in school because of a relationship that was currently weak. I needed to get myself together. Relationships may break but my college degree was something I didn't want to lose.

My stomach suddenly became queasy as I approached the bathroom door. I covered my mouth and opened the door then rushed to the sink when my throat bobbed like I was about to throw up. I leaned over the sink and heaved for some seconds then the food I ate last night flowed out my mouth into the sink. I threw up and heaved, making my waist ache. As I emptied my stomach, I felt anger and sadness flow through me. Once I stopped throwing up, I turned on the faucet and bowed my head, starting to cry.

"Why me?" I asked myself. "Why can't I just live in peace for once?" I sniffed and raised my body up so I could stare at myself in the huge mirror.

My gaze swept over my head, chest and baby bump. My cheeks were puffy, my nose was a bit bigger, my breasts felt heavy and looked bigger, my neck was no longer thin but thicker. I was fat. My lips wobbled as I stared at myself more. I needed Lucas here to comfort me. I hated going through this pregnancy alone.

As hot tears slid down my cheeks, I wiped them off with my hands and washed my mouth before turning off the faucet. I stepped out of the bathroom and made my way to the bed. As I got to it, my phone's screen lit up and on it was Lucas' name with the hearty eye emoji beside it, displayed on the screen. I swallowed at the sight of the text. I wanted to open it.

I desperately wanted to hear a word from him, but I was scared of its content. I thought I would be ready, but I wasn't. And at the sound of Paul's cry, I took it as an excuse and left the room, heart racing.

| | |

Just like that, it was midday. I still had not checked what Lucas sent to me and I was still anxious to. While attending classes, my thoughts were filled with what the text could hold. Him telling me he has a new woman. Him lying when the truth was out. I was paranoid and it did not help my condition.