Forty-Two

Jackie's POV

"Darrell," I repeated, testing the name on my tongue while he smiled, nodding. "Do you go to our college?"

Darrell shook his head. "I was there to meet someone when I saw you bent over your car. I got worried when I saw you were pregnant. So, I helped."

I was glad someone was around to help because I didn't know who to call out to at that moment. It was rare for a stranger like him to go out of his way to help me and even stay with me until now, with Paul included. He seemed like a nice guy.

"I am sorry for keeping you from meeting the person you wanted to see."

"Nah, it's alright. I already called them."

I looked around the bed before spotting my phone, which I wanted, on the small bedside table by my left-hand side. I grabbed it and swiped through to call Lucas, hoping that he would answer my calls this time. I was not liking how he was ignoring my calls ever since he went to Rochester. Moments like this needed us to stay in touch with one another and not keep things away from each other, no matter how small the situation may be.

I put my hand in the pocket of my pants and took out my wired earphones. I plugged it into the phone and plugged the jelly ear-pods into my ears. I glanced at Darrell who was holding his phone upright and away from the wandering hands of Paul. I looked back at my phone and tapped on the video call option on Lucas' contact. The call beeped as I waited for him to pick up.

A few seconds went by, and he still had not answered and just as I was about to tap the end button, his face popped up on screen. My mood elevated at the sight of his big smile and slightly sleepy face. I waved and he waved back.

"Hey," I said, and he rolled over on the bed he was on. "Were you sleeping?"

He nodded and yawned. I could see the sleep lines on his face and his ruffled hair when he shifted the phone away from his face.

"I was napping before I go to an important meeting. How are you and...wait, where are you? The headboard I'm seeing looks different." He brought his face closer to his screen, making me see just his eyebrows.

I glanced at the peeking headboard through my own screen and hummed in the affirmative.

"I'm at the hospital," I said and that caused him to sit up abruptly.

The phone was raised at an arm's length, giving me a view of his muscled chest and abs. I knew it was not the time to think of such, but the sight of his naked upper body made me feel heat between my legs. I missed him. Just looking at him made me miss the way he touched me and how he always made me feel. The distance between us was slowing eating away at my mood.

"Jackie?"

I shook my head when I realized that I had zoned out. His eyebrows were knitted together, and his eyes slightly narrowed. He was obviously waiting for me to speak or had asked a question.

"I asked you a question... Why are you in the hospital?"

"It's nothing serious, Lucas." Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Darrel shift in his seat and send me a look. "I just had some cramps."

"Fuck. Are you okay now? Do you still feel any pains?"

Before I could speak, he started to speak again, shutting me up.

"Do you want me to come home?"

Yes. Saying yes to him was just at the tip of my tongue.