Ten

|||

Lucas' POV

"I'll start the payment for the apartment you'll be staying in," I said, parking in front of a hotel building. "In the meantime, you'll stay in this hotel." 

I dropped my hands from the steering wheel and glanced at Cindy beside me on the passenger seat. She was silent and had not said anything since I drove her out of the neighborhood, which was good for me because I was too angry to say anything to her or hear her speak.

"How safe is this place?" She asked.

"What kind of a question is that?" I asked back and she sighed heavily.

"I've been living with our son—"

"Your son," I cut her off. "He's your child until I find out what if he is mine."

"Whatever," Cindy said. "What I am trying to say is that I don't feel safe. Ever since I started staying in hotels, I've always been attacked, robbed, or almost assaulted. I fear for the safety of my son and myself."

I rolled my eyes, not feeling anything like concern for her.

"How does that concern me?" I asked through the little anger in me.

"Why are you acting this way? We used to be good friends. We hung out a lot and had fun together. Why are you suddenly cold toward me?" She asked in a cracking tone, almost as if she was about to cry.

"You won't understand and I prefer not to tell you anything," I replied and faced her with a frown. "But what I will tell you is that I hope you aren't planning something with this child. I hope this isn't all a lie so you could come to ruin my life because I've had enough of it. I will not have my happiness ruined again. Do you understand?"

Cindy blinked rapidly and swallowed hard. She looked down at her lap and clenched her hands before nodding her head.

"I don't have any gain from this. All I want is for my son to have a comfortable life. What you do with your life or whatever goes on in it, isn't my business."

"Good to know," I retorted and unlocked the car. She got out and I turned my head to look at the sleeping child in the back of the car.

He had dark hair, a small button nose, and small lips that were opened as he snored softly. I stared at the child for some before looking away in fear. There was no way that the baby in the back was mine. I tried too hard to believe he wasn't.

The back door opened and Cindy carried him out of the car then shut the door. I exhaled and covered my face.

"How did I mess up so bad?" I asked myself, feeling heartache. "I wanted a drama-free life and this happened."

A knock on the window made me flinch and I dropped my hands. I nodded at Cindy who was by my side of the car and I turned off the car.

"Tomorrow, I'll find out who the real father is."

|||

Jackie's POV

If I said I was happy about the fact that Lucas had a child, I would be lying. It wasn't as if I was hating on the innocent child or anything, I was just sad about the news. Even if he didn't know about the fact that he already had a child.

I rose from the bed and walked over to the window in the room. I crossed my arms and leaned against the window frame, my head filled with thoughts of what had just happened.

The sound of the door opening got my attention and I turned my head to find Lucas walking into the room with his head cast down. I dropped my crossed arms and walked over to him. He raised his head and smiled sadly at me.

"Hi," he said and I could see how tired his eyes were. I believed it was more of a mental exhaustion than physical.

This whole issue affected him more, as there was a possibility the child was his. He had to deal with me being pregnant and now he finds out he is already a father to a child almost one-year-old.

"Did you talk to Cindy?" I asked and he sighed.

"We barely said anything. I only told her that I would pay for an apartment and give her child support after the DNA test result comes out. Right now, she's staying in a hotel," he replied and made his way to our big bed.

Lucas sat on it and tossed his car key aside then lay on his back with his arms spread out on the bed. I went to where he was and sat beside him on the bed.

"What will you do now?" I asked and he looked at me through the corner of his eyes.

"I don't know," he said. "I'm confused and weak. I thought after Maddy's death, we will be free from problems but it seems fate has other plans for us."

I smiled and scooted closer the lay beside him. I placed my head on his chest and listened to the soft thumps of his heartbeat. I placed my hand on his chest and drummed my fingers on it. He sighed and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to his warm body.

"What we should do is stand by each other if things get hard. The last thing we want is to have a repeat of what happened before or months ago."

"I know. I'm not going to lose you to some information or anyone," Lucas said and pressed his lips against the crown of my head.

We stayed quiet for a minute, enjoying the comfortable silence in the room. A smile appeared on my face when a thought crossed my mind.

"So, you're now a celebrity," I said and he hummed.

"Celebrity?"

"Yes," I said and propped my chin on his chest to make eye contact with him. "You're such a celebrity now because you've got a baby Mama. You've got powerful loins, sir."

Lucas groaned. "Don't start. Here I was, thinking you'd be mad but no, you're trolling me."

I couldn't help but laugh at the tone of his voice.

"I hope Cindy isn't a crazy baby mama because I will not let her come between us. I didn't let that dead psycho succeed, I'm not going to let anyone try again."

"Same here," he said.

A/n: More surprises are coming. Especially secrets.

There's a Spotify playlist for this story and the other one. The link is in my bio, go check it out.