Fifty

Jackie's POV

One moment I was trying to tell Darrell that he could go home and not follow me upstairs, and the next thing, he was kissing. It was surprising and shocking when his lips touched mine. I was stunned in my stance, not able to move as I tried to reason why he was kissing me. And when his arms went around me, I stiffened against his body then blinked hard.

After what felt like hours, I placed my hands on his chest and pushed him hard, making him tear his lips away and stagger backward. I glared at him while he gaped with flushed cheeks. I gritted my teeth and wiped my lips with the back of my hand.

"What the fuck was that, Darrell?!" I asked in heated anger and he sighed.

"I am so sorry. It's just that I have been meaning to kiss you and... I don't know what came over me. You are so pretty, and I have been holding myself back from doing anything... I'm sorry."

I was avoiding this and expecting such behavior from him. I knew he had feelings for me, and I dreaded it. I didn't like him the way he liked me. For now, he was only someone I knew and never have I thought about him like whatever way he does about me.

"Say something," he said, looking like he wanted to panic.

"Listen, Darrell. I don't see you like the way you and I never will." I took in deep breaths and closed my eyes for some seconds. "You are just a friend, and I am only tolerating your presence because of our... former partners. I am still not on the right state of mind to entertain any other love interest and I wish you can understand. Even if I was ready, I just don't see you like that. First of all, you are six years older, and I don't feel comfortable with the age gap... Second of all, don't ever do that again."

I didn't wait for a response from him and turned around then made my way to the double doors. I pushed one side open and walked in then started making my way toward the elevator, all the while, feeling uncomfortable with what had just happened. Even when he had taken me to the hospital for my usual checkups and antenatal care, he had been too touchy with me.

With a shake of my head, I pushed the button for the elevator and waited for it to open. As I waited for it, I remembered something. Before he had kissed me, I felt a heavy presence of someone watching me. It felt weird but almost as if there were people around watching us. And when he kissed me, it added to the discomfort I was feeling. I shook my head, and the doors slide open, then I walked in.

Just as I touched my floor button, someone walked in, a girl, wearing a large, hooded jacket with the hood covering her face and all. I glanced at her for a second and was tempted to ask her which floor she was going to, but her demeanor screamed don't talk to me. I shrugged and the doors closed. I kept my eyes on the numbers counting up and out of the corner of my eyes, I saw the girl turn her head in my direction. Even though I could not see her face, I could tell she was looking my way. When she turned her head more, I looked sideways and saw just her chin and rosy thin lips. I looked forward and sighed, praying for the elevator to reach my floor.

As if on cue, it stopped, and the doors opened then I walked out. I looked over my shoulder to look at her. My eyes widened when she motioned two fingers at her shielded eyes then at me, before tapping her index finger on her left wrist, as if pointing to an invisible wristwatch.

I faced forward and hurriedly made my way through the hallway. I looked over my shoulder and the doors were closed. I stopped walking to lean against the wall. My heart was beating fast, and my breath was ragged. Who had been that person? First the man who had stood in front of Lucas' house then this woman. These people were beginning to give me an irrational fear for hooded figures.

"Jackie?"

I flinched at the sound of Andrea's voice and turned my body around. She was standing by the front door of her apartment in her scrubs and bags of food. She slowly approached me then looked me up and down in concern.