Forty-Five

Chapter's Soundtrack: Let You Go by Morgan Page

Jackie's POV

I was stalling.

Ever since Darrell showed me the picture, I invited him in and have stayed in the bedroom I shared with the man I thought was my everything. I still believed he was my everything but the recent happenings made me think otherwise. The picture matched with the words I heard from the Maddie girl from before. My heart was hurting and my eyes were threatening to spill tears. I was scared of what Darrell had to say about Lucas.

A part of me believed he would never hurt me. But then again, our relationship was still new and not even up to a year, we were still new adults and Lucas had still been sleeping with women months ago before we started dating. The train of my thoughts made me wonder the possibilities.

What if I was just another woman for him? We had a lot more years ahead of us and anything could happen.

When Paul turned on the large bed, I sighed and covered him with his baby blanket before walking to the door of the bedroom. I clenched my hands as I stared at the door handle. I took in a deep breath and held the handle then twisted it and pulled the door. I walked out of the room and closed the door then started making my way to the living room.

When I got to the start of the stairs, I glanced at Darrell for a moment before walking down the steps. Once I finished climbing down the steps, I walked over to the couch he was sitting on and sat beside him, back stiff and emotions at the roof, ready to explode.

"How do you know my boyfriend and who is that woman?" I asked and he shuffled beside me before turning his body to face me.

"I am still surprised that he is someone you know," he said and chuckled. "The world is such a funny place."

"Go straight to the point," I said, voice heavy in anger.

"Sorry... Well, Maddie and I have been dating for years now and I have been noticing how distant she has become. It worried me until I followed her to one of her business trips in New York. A friend helped me too and snapped that picture of her and your... your boyfriend. When I approached them, Maddie told me he is her boyfriend. The way they touched each other made me feel they have been together for a while."

I wanted to believe him so much. I wanted to follow my heart but my heart was broken right now and I didn't know what to do. My head was telling me to focus on myself but the love I had for him was strong to tell me otherwise.

"I am so sorry this is happening. I wish I knew what I did to Maddie to have her do this to me."

It seemed like the people with the name Maddie were all bitches and self-centered jerks. I gritted my teeth the more I thought about them. Him kissing her, touching her. My heart ached the more I envisioned everything. I rose to my feet and glared at the coffee table with teary eyes.

"Can you leave, please? This is a lot to handle and I need to think," I said and I heard him rise behind me.

He dropped his hand on my shoulder, making me grab it before dropping it. I took in a shaky breath and waited for him to leave. Without another word, he walked to the door and I looked at his back, watching him open the door. He looked at me one last time before leaving the house.

I sat on the couch and laced my fingers then covered my face with my joined hands. I started to cry out the burning hurt I was feeling. I wanted to scream out my anger, to cry hard until I no longer felt the pain. I remember telling Lucas that I would choose me over the relationship if he messed up again and he did. I was scared that I was now given that choice.