Twenty-Eight

Something in the air did not feel right but I could be overthinking and overanalyzing the tone Matt had used in speaking. Even the expression on his face was questionable and the way Lucas' eyebrows furrowed at him for a split second didn't help things. The next thing that crossed my mind was the picture I saw in Matt's wallet.

"Your girlfriend is a remarkable woman," Matt said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah. I know about that. She's a lovely person," Lucas replied.

Matt turned to me with a smile on his face.

"We were supposed to head out today." Matt faced Lucas. "My apologies but your girlfriend and I have plans for today."

I racked my head trying to understand what he meant when I remembered that he had called yesterday. I sighed and threw my head back in agony. I wanted to spend some time with Lucas, seeing that I did not have freedom in my home anymore.

"Is this true?" Lucas called to my attention.

"Yeah. He called yesterday. We have this class project and I was the one who rescheduled." I pouted and Lucas sighed.

"I understand. We'll meet tonight, okay?" He said and wrapped his arms around me in a hug. He kissed my forehead, making me flush from embarrassment as Matt was watching us. "Love you."

"Love you too."

Lucas pulled away and turned around. He got into his car and drove off after a minute. I sighed heavily and faced Matt with a frown on my face.

"It's your fault I can't hang out with my boyfriend," I said, pointing an accusatory finger at him, it only made him snort.

"Not my fault you didn't agree yesterday. Now come on, we have to meet the others at my house."

I flinched when Matt grabbed my hand and pulled me with him. He needed to learn how to keep his hands to himself and not touch me at random. We were not that close. I was going to overlook this one time.

|||

After spending half an hour at different stores, gathering the equipment and tools we needed, Matt drove to a quaint and serene neighborhood that reminded me of Redwood. He stopped in front of a small house toward the end of the neighborhood. In front of the house was Bria who waved at us. I did not recognize this place as his place at all.

"This isn't your place," I said and he nodded as he unfastened his seatbelt.

"This is a family home. My house has guests. We'll stay here in the meantime until they leave. I hope you don't mind?"

I shook my head in response. Once he turned off the engine, I got out with some of the stuff we had gotten and handed it to Bria who had approached the car.

"I was beginning to think you two won't arrive on time. Did you bring snacks?" Bria asked and I chuckled.

"Yes, we did. I begged Matt though. He said he doesn't eat junk food. Pfft."

"They are unhealthy!" Matt yelled behind us as we climbed the short steps leading to the porch.

Bria opened the door and I stepped into the house. The first thing I noticed was how small yet cozy the living room was. The walls were a bit faded, the couches looked old but clean and the pieces of furniture were old designs. I glanced toward the kitchen across the room with a small dining table.

"Welcome to my family home," Matt said as he shut the door, which rattled the windows.

Everything about the house reminded me of my family home in Redwood, indeed. It was the typical middle-class family-sized home. Intimately cozy and comfortable at the same time.

"Have a sit," he said and walked to the kitchen.

As I made a move to sit down on one of the couches, my bladder made me feel the urge to pee. I intended to hold it in until I got back to Evangeline's place but being pregnant and holding pee did not work. With a sigh, I walked up to Matt and tapped his shoulder. He turned around and looked down at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"Where's your restroom?" I asked.

"Oh. Go through the open door to your left, as you walk out. This house isn't a luxury apartment, so it's just one bathroom and not a restroom. Anyway, just walk down and the door in between the two doors is the right one." He babbled on while animatedly moving his hands.

I nodded and thanked him before walking out of the kitchen, then followed his direction. I walked through the door that led me to a small and short passageway. Upfront was a door, which I suspected was the bathroom.

As soon as I reached the door, my eyes shifted to the door that was open on my right. It was a bedroom and a large picture on the wall by the window caught my attention.  It was the same picture that I saw back at home. The urge to pee went away and curiosity took over.

I looked toward the hallway door, waiting to see or hear anyone. I gulped and walked into the room at a high speed. I crossed the room to the wall where the picture was. It was the same picture; with Ruth, Axel, the twin men, and Lucas. My knees almost gave out as I wondered how he might have had this picture.

The shock made me still for five seconds before I looked to the side when something white caught my attention. I reached out my hand to take what looked like a picture. On the back was a cursive writing and I was curious to read what it was. Once I grabbed it, I squinted my eyes to read what was written on it.

"On this day, they spent ... they spent some time together. Axel, Lucas, Ruth, Henry, and Harry," I whispered. "What is the Hamilton family photo doing here?"

I heard footsteps and my back went straight. I quickly dropped the picture and ran back to the door. I peeped and when I saw no one, I ran straight into the bathroom and almost bumped into Matt who caught me in his arms.

Oh shit! He must've seen me.

"Where are you coming from?" He asked and I gulped.

A/n: How related is Matt to the Hamiltons if he has a picture of them in his place?