Thirty-Two

Jackie's POV

I could not believe what I was hearing. Cindy was such a bitch, probably worse than who shall not be named. How could she treat an innocent child like trash? Her behavior made me wonder if she was even related to the child. The child was innocent and it made me furious about how he would grow up with such a mother. At the back of my mind, I pondered on how she took care of him and at that, I remembered the one time she had left him alone at home with me to go out.

In anger, I walked into the house and banged the door shut. I noticed her startle at the sound and stand with her baby in her arms. I kept a blank expression on my face as I made my way past where she stood.

"What are you doing here? I don't think you're supposed to be here," she said and went around the couch before standing in front of me, blocking my view.

"Ge out of my way," I said and she scoffed.

"No. If you don't leave, I'm calling Lucas."

"And what will you say?" I taunted with a smile. "That I came to beat the shit out of you or that I came to threaten you in my own house?"

Cindy's expression turned sour as she thought of what to say to me. She rolled her eyes and I scoffed before brushing past her. I stopped to look down at the child and saw that the shirt he was wearing had stains on it. There were dried up food on his cheeks and at the edge of his lip, as well as snot in his nose, which made him breathe with an open mouth. My heart ached at his appearance as I remembered what I had just heard. Cindy was not taking care of her son and it hurt to see.

"What?" Cindy asked in a sharp tone.

I said nothing for some seconds as I weighed the chances of getting what I want if I asked her. I sighed and looked away from the child to Cindy.

"Can I have him?"

"Excuse me?" She took a step back.

"Can I have your son? I mean, I want to take him with me and have him stay with me for a few days. I am sure you have fun things to do and looking at things, it seems as if he is holding you back."

Cindy chewed on her bottom lip with a frown on her face as she eyed my body. I could tell she was thinking of if I had an ulterior motive but the only thing I had in mind was just to take care of him.

"No. I will never give you my child, you bitch. Who knows what you'll do to him." She huffed and walked back to the couch.

I sighed and shrugged then continued my walk toward my room. Once I was in it, memories of the nights and days I spent with Lucas came tumbling in. It made me smile and miss those moments where we were free around our home and free to love each other. Now, we had Cindy to deal with. I placed my hand on the bulge of my belly, caressing the fetus that was nestled in it.

"Soon enough our family will be back to the way it is supposed to be," I said and made my way to the walk-in closet. I needed more clothes and some of my school books with me.

After I was done, I walked out of the closet and paused when I saw Cindy with the baby. She saw me and rushed over to me then shoved her baby into my arms. The child cooed and fussed in my arms while his mother adjusted the short black dress she was wearing.

"You can take him. Some friends are hosting a get together. And you better not say a word to Lucas about this or I will make your life a living hell,"Cindy said and sniffed the top part of the dress after pinching the material upward. "Do me a favor and bathe Paul. He smells."

"You---'

'Bye!"

I watched her race out of the room, leaving me flabbergasted. I was shell shocked at how she had referred to her child as smelly and without flinching. I scoffed in disbelief and cradled the baby closer to my chest while gripping the luggage I held, better.