Fifty-Six

Jackie's POV

"What do you think?"

I turned my head to look at what Darrell was talking about. He was holding up two baby jumpsuits, one orange, the other a polka dotted design. I smiled and pointed at the orange one, which he immediately tossed into the shopping cart full of other baby items. Darrell was a shopaholic, he was always trying to get me to buy things for the baby even though I told him no. It was heartwarming how he acted so nice to me.

My phone buzzed in the pocket of my dress. I took it out and stared at what the notification was. My heart skipped a beat when I saw it was a bank notification. Lucas sent ninety thousand dollars and the message attached to it made my heart flutter like he always made it do.

Take care of yourself and our baby.

"What is it?"

I flinched and quickly locked the screen of my phone then faced Darrell with a smile on my face. He was looking at me strangely. Darrell didn't really know who Lucas was and it was better that way.

"I'm good. I was just checking some messages."

Darrell nodded and grabbed the cart then motioned for us to keep walking. I allowed him to walk past me before I started to follow him. I unlocked the phone again and read the sentence over and over again. I hated this. I hated that I was missing him. He still made me feel butterflies and he still had an effect on me. God darn him!

"Stop," I whispered to myself and pushed every feeling I had for him away.

I shook my head and stared at Darrell's back. I cursed Lucas for always making me feel so hooked to him. He is an annoying, insufferable prick in my skin.

| | |

"There is a meeting scheduled for the business that will be scouted to be invested in at the end of this month. I already sent in the details of your cafe to my dad's assistant, so he will get yours on the list. All you have to do is get ready to travel to New York at the end of the month."

I smiled and nodded in understanding after Andrea finished talking. She placed what looked like plane tickets on the desk, confusing me.

"What is this?" I asked, clearly knowing what it was.

"Plane tickets, dummy."

I sighed. "You didn't have to do this. I can afford tickets to New York."

Andrea giggled. "I know you can but you are going to be a mom in what? A month or two? I don't want you bothering yourself over things like this. Save any money you have, hm?"

Andrea patted me on the shoulder and walked away from me to my room's door. She waved at me then left the room. I looked down at the ticket and smiled. The idea of having people who cared for me made me feel giddy and forget my worries and troubles.

As I picked up the ticket, my phone rang. I glanced at the screen, only to see an unknown number displayed on the screen. I wondered who would be calling me since I did not know many people. It had to be about business. I picked up the phone and answered the call.

"Hello?"

No one said anything for a few seconds and I was getting pissed off. I frowned and was about to pull the phone from my ear when I heard a sigh.

"Baby?"

A mixture of irritation and nervousness moved through me at the sound of the voice. It was heavy, laced and deep. Just like I know it.

"What do you want, Lucas?" I asked in a shaky voice, my hands sweating all of sudden and heart racing.

His voice, once a melody that played with my heart, echoed through the phone. "Jackie, I miss you. I miss us. Please, don't end the call. I... I just want to hear your voice. Please, baby."

My breath hitched at the sweetness in his tone. Memories of our shared laughter and stolen glances flooded my mind, causing a storm of emotions within me. I tightened my grip on the phone, fighting against the nostalgia that threatened to pull me back.

Lucas continued, "I've been thinking about you, about us. The money is not charity; it's for our child, for you. I want to ensure you're comfortable, that you have everything you need. I know I am not there for you but trust me, please. I will never hurt you. You are my everything and I cannot let you go, never."

Anger and confusion tangled within me. His words were like a bittersweet symphony, stirring emotions I tried to bury. I hated how it all made me feel that funny feeling. I needed to remember that Lucas was a bad boy, he knew what to say, the right words to make me swoon.

"Lucas, you can't just throw money at me or words and expect everything to be okay. We're over, and I don't need your false gestures."

He sighed. "Jackie, I can't erase our past but there is one thing that can never be erased; I still love you. I hope we can find a way to coexist, even if it's just for the sake of our child. Please, let me be there for you. But there is one important thing, you are still mine, all mine. Even if you give another motherfucker a chance, you still belong to me. You are my everything, and being with another man will not make me leave you."

He started to laugh, making me confused. Was he drunk or going crazy?

His plea resonated, triggering a storm of conflicting emotions. I swallowed the lump in my throat, my voice steadying.

"Lucas, I've moved on. I won't let you disrupt the life I'm building. Stop all of this."

"No, my love. I want to build that life with you. With you, our son, just us. I want a life with you as mine, my woman, my wife. I am a man in love and a stubborn one. I will get you back, Jackie. I will."

I hung up, my hands trembling. His sweet words stirred both anger and longing, leaving me to grapple with emotions I thought were buried.

I hated that I was still in love with him so much his words made me... turned on.

"I hate you, Lucas fucking Hamilton!"