Fifty-Seven

Jackie's POV

Around the room were clothes, scattered around, on the bed, the floor and the couches. I was going to regret messing up the room like the way it is by the end of the day but I could not blame myself... sort of. My trip to New York was tomorrow and I have been too lazy to pack my bags or done anything to show that I had an important trip hours away. I had a night plane so maybe that was what made me feel lazy and think I had extra hours.

"Ugh!" I was frustrated. "Where the hell is my green shirt?"

My head felt heavy and my mind was racing from the stress I was feeling. My eyes darted around the room in search of it. I ran my fingers through my hair and roughened my hair. I groaned and went to my bed and sat on it. I glared at my luggage and crossed my arms.

"I wish the idiot I consider my so called partner was here. I would not be stresses about this. Tsk, I would not even be making this trip. Instead, I would have been getting the baby mama or baby girl treatment." I frowned at my words then looked down at my baby bump.

I am happy my third trimester bump was not huge. It was heavy, with the back pains, body aches and fever--- Everything but the size of my bump somehow suited my size. Thinking of my baby, I smiled and rubbed my bump. I could not wait to see my baby. I was curious on who he would look like. A part of me wanted him to take after his father so much and the other part of me wanted him to take after me and his father. I groaned when he kicked me close to bladder. I sighed and rolled my eyes then rubbed the area. I didn't know how I was going to travel with an eight month old pregnancy.

My phone started to ring and I quickly took it off the bed. I smiled at the caller ID. I Answered the call and put the phone against my ear.

"Hey, Jackie?"

"Hi. What's up, Darrell?" I got up and went over to my luggage that was on a table. I placed the phone on my shoulder and rested my cheek on the device.

"I wanted to know how you're doing and if you're ready for tomorrow. I'm picking you up, remember?"

"You really don't have to do that, Darrell. I can book a ride to the airport and it's not like I'm traveling far or something."

Darrell laughed softly and scoffed. I already knew I wouldn't win the argument from the way he was talking. He and Andrea were the same. They always forcefully helped me and I kinda loved it. It was different from what I was used.

"Fine. I know you won't give up . So, you can take me to the airport, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am."

I chuckled and the call ended. I dropped the phone down on the desk and sighed, thinking about my journey. New York was a huge place, and it was the exact city Lucas was in. It was funny how fate made things happen. The investment company was located in the same city Lucas left for and never came back. It made me nervous. What if I bumped into him? What if I saw someone who knew him?

My heart started to beat fast and anxiety started to grow in me because of my thoughts. I Shook my head and pushed the thoughts away. I was making this journey for myself and my business--- my future and not with the hopes of running into Lucas.

I hope I don't cross paths with him.

| | |

"Thanks, Darrell," I said as he stopped close to where my gate was.

Darrell wheeled my luggage to me and came closer. He opened his arms and I chuckled then went into his arms sideways. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and I patted him on his back and moved out of his hold. He held my arms, making me stop. I looked up at him, waiting for whatever he had to say.

"What?" I asked when I noticed how he was just staring at my face.

"Nothing. Just stay safe and come back quick," he said and patted me on the head.

I chuckled and hit his chest softly then took a few steps back and held the handle of my luggage. I waved at him then turned around and walked past the barricade. As I neared the gate, my heart felt like it wanted to pop out of my ribs--- I was going to be in the same location as Lucas. This was happening.

| | |

An hour later, I arrived in Rochester. I booked a hotel room and took a short nap since I was feeling tired and sleepy from sitting in one place for that amount of time. I could not sleep well on the flight even though I had been in first class. Travelling pregnant was worse, it had been like I was having the symptoms all at once.

Another hour later, I woke up, feeling refreshed and the urge to have a stroll came over me. I got out of bed and changed into a gown then grabbed my purse filled with candies, chocolates and my phone. Once I was finished, I stepped out of my room and started to make my way out of the hallway to the lobby.

As I made my way out of the entrance to the hallway, my phone started to ring in my purse. I raised my purse to pull my phone out, only to have them fall out of my hands as someone bumped into me from the side. I frowned at the impact and eyed the contents of my purse that were scattered around, I gritted my teeth. The person who had hit me bent down and started to pick up everything.

"I am so---"

My heart skipped a beat at the sight of Axel. He stood firm at the sight of me too. I gulped and took a step back. No. Why did I have to bump into one of them?

"Jackie?"

He sounded surprised. I could tell he was every surprised with the shock on his face. But right now, I needed to get away from him. There were chances that Lucas was around somewhere and I did not have the strength to face him.

I took my things from him and spun around then hurriedly started walking away. He called out to me but I acted as if I could not hear him. My hands were shaking and my body was pumping out sweat just from what happened. I needed to be far away, very far before I was sure no one was following me and I was not going to look behind me.

It was ten minutes later and I found myself at a park. I looked around me, wondering when I got to where I was. The most important thing was not he did not follow me. At that, I sighed and made my way to a bench in front of me. I sat on it and exhaled hard.

"If I bumped into Axel, it means Lucas is next." I Ruffled my hair in annoyance. "Why can't I escape them?"

I needed to do my business fast and leave Rochester.

| | |

At eight in the morning the next day, I was at the company building for my interview. I was a nervous wreck. I barely slept last night as I was worried that today would not end well but the good luck texts from mom, Andrea, and Darrell motivated me so much.

When I stepped into the waiting room, I purposely ignored the looks I was getting. People stared a lot at pregnant women and it was not comfortable. It made me feel odd, especially seeing that I was here for a business meeting. I seemed like the odd one out of everyone but I didn't care.

"Jackie Garner?" A woman called out my name.

"Here!" I got up with my bag and made my way to where she was.

"Welcome. This way, please," she said with a kind smile and motioned at a large door a few feet away.

I nodded and walked fast to the door. When I got to the door, I took a deep breath and knocked once then pushed the door open. A heavy weight of anxiousness and shyness took over me when my gaze swept over a room full of older men and women. I closed the door and bowed slightly at them then made my way to the place were a projector stood.

"Good morning," I said to them and smiled at everyone even though I was not making eye contact with anyone.

They all muttered back the greeting and I nodded, feeling awkward. I bit the inside of my cheek and looked at each of them before settling my eyes on the person at the head of the long and large desk. I gasped softly.

No! This cannot be. There is no way someone who looked like Lucas' father was in the room with me.

The door opened and my eyes darted to the door, only to be met with the set of blue eyes I fell in love with. My legs felt like it was going to go limp. What was happening?

"Jackie?"