Fifty-Eight

Jackie's POV

The universe either hated me or I committed a crime in my past life, and this was the day I paid for it. How was it that out of all the investment companies to be interested in my project, it had to be where Lucas worked at. I wanted whatever prank this was to end.

Lucas fucking Hamilton was sitting at the head of the table, eyes wide and mouth open in surprise. It felt like I was having a bad dream seeing him there. I was either still at my hotel sleeping or was still in Atherton because there was no way I was seeing Lucas again after he left me.

"Miss. Garner?"

I flinched and faced the person that had called my name. It was an older man, giving me a strange look. I smiled and nodded. I was here for something important and I was not about to ruin that because of the man on the other side of where I stood.

"My apologies," I said and placed my things on the table then opened my bag with shaky hands.

I pulled out the file full of my proposal and started to distribute it to everyone and when I got to where Lucas was, I stopped for a few seconds, eyeing him. He raised his gaze and met my eyes but I looked away and half heartedly dropped his copy on the desk when he opened his hand for it. I walked back to my position and turned on my laptop while they were going through the proposals in their hands. I connected it to the projector and the logo for my business displayed on it.

I took a deep breath and prepared my mind for my future.

"Good morning, esteemed investors. I'm thrilled to present to you an exciting opportunity in the hospitality industry with a classic twist—GreenSip Café, a sustainable cafe revolutionizing the way we enjoy our daily cup of coffee and delicious bites. GreenSip Café isn't just another run-of-the-mill cafe; it's a visionary concept that prioritizes sustainability, community engagement, and culinary innovation. Here's what sets us apart."

I watched as the men and women nodded in interest then I smiled, my anxiety lessening. I pressed the remote in my hand and an animated section with what the business was all about played.

"Eco-Friendly Practices. At GreenSip Café, sustainability isn't just a buzzword; it's our guiding principle. From using eco-friendly packaging and utensils to implementing energy-efficient appliances and waste-reduction strategies, we're committed to minimizing our environmental footprint at every step of the operation."

I strolled over to the projector and pointed at the screen, explaining more of the point. The faces they had on motivated me and I was even more eager to share what I had.

"Farm-to-Table Philosophy. We believe in serving food that's not only delicious but also ethically sourced and locally produced. Our menu features an array of dishes crafted from fresh, seasonal ingredients sourced directly from local farmers and producers, ensuring the highest quality and supporting the community. With that, we can be sure that in the future, there won't be a case of health issues stemming from unhealthy amounts of ingredients or chemicalized foods. It will also save the high cost of industrialized factory production when we invest in local farms and expand both the supplier and consumer."

I went more into it and they all nodded with every point I made. I tried not to look at Lucas while I spokebut from my periphery, I could tell he was paying attention to every word I was saying.

"Thank you," I said and they clapped softly.

A middle aged man cleared his throat and leaned forward on the desk.

"This is refreshing, compared to other business proposals we have seen so far. I love the aesthetics of the brand and how it fits this generation and also fits the past generation. I love the design outline and how it stuck to the eco-friendliness of it being an environmental scientist, it is impressive to see."

I smiled with joy bubbling inside me. My eyes shifted to another, a woman, much older. She smiled at me and I smiled wider.

"He is absolutely right. Innovations like this help the community and I see that the location is at a place that can uplight the business. The theme of the business is the type that will easily attract more attention at a glance which can lead to an expansion in various places, Miss. Garner but..."

My smile dropped a bit at the clause in her statement.

"Can your business maintain an eco-friendly environment and stick to your ideals?"

"Yes, we can. Which is why we are providing a means for customers to dispose of their trash with trash cans that weigh their trash and give them money for it. That way, people buy more to get their money back. A win win," I said and some chuckled.

"Impressive," she said and I bowed slightly.

"To some extent, it is but to me it seems skeptical," another man said.

I cut my gaze to him and saw it was a pot bellied man, flipping through my proposal nonchalantly. My heart sank as I already knew where this was headed.

"You're pregnant," he said callously and the air in the room changed.

"Y-yes, sir."

For the first time, my eyes went to Lucas and I was surprised to see him giving the man a death glare.

"What are the chances that you are not here to use whatever money invested in your business as a child support system?"

I clenched my hands as anger stirred inside me. This man either was a misogynist or was trying to test me in some way but I had to keep my cool before I let my hormones make me spark his bald head on fire.

"You're not saying anything?" He taunted and a sly smirk appeared on his lips.

I glanced at Lucas and saw he had his fists clenching the edges of the proposal while his eyes were dark and hard on the man. I looked away from him to the man, then smiled.

"While I understand your concern, my business and pleasure do not mix. The child has his father who provides enough for child support even though he is not born yet. I am a very stubborn person and that applies to this project. Any investment made toward my business goes to it for improvement and necessities for it." I paused to look at everyone in the room before looking back at the man.

"My pregnancy has no bearing on my commitment to this business. In fact, it only fuels my determination to make it succeed. As for your insinuation about using the business as a child support system, let me be clear: GreenSip Café is not just a means to an end for me. It's my passion, my dream, and my future. And I would never exploit it for personal gain."

The man's expression faltered for a second before he schooled it and looked down at the proposal, saying nothing.

"If that will be all, any questions?" Lucas asked, startling me.

I was surprised to hear him speak, and even speak as if he owned them. He either had a high position amongst them or something.

"Very well then. Miss. Garner, your time is up. We will get back to you with any update on this."

The room became noisy with murmurs, seats scraping the floor and clothes ruffling as they all made their way out of the room. I shut my eyes and said a short prayer of thanks then opened my eyes. I looked up and froze when I saw that Lucas was still in the room with me, eyes darker and face contorted into a deep frown.

I scrambled to pack up my things, wanting to leave as fast as possible and as I hung my bag on my shoulder and turned to leave, he spoke,

"Stay right there."

The deepness of his voice and the dominance in them had my feet rooted to the floor. He still had his control over me.

Fuck you, Lucas.