Sixty-Seven

Lucas' POV

A few weeks later.

Coming back to Atherton felt strange as I drove through the quiet neighborhood. It was still the same. Not that I was expecting any major change, seeing I have not been around for a short amount of time. Also, I wanted to surprise Jackie today. The last time I saw her was after the day she left the hospital, and I was excited to see her. I needed to be around her now that she was going to go into labor any day from now.

As I got close to our house, my chest tightened. As much as we were being careful with our current state of relationship, I was nervous of what she would think of me coming back or at least staying with her for a few days. I was glad that I told her to stay in our home instead of staying with Andrea so it would be easy for me to come see her without someone holding a knife to my back. I was actually happy that Jackie had people who were there for her, despite the history between the three of us.

I arrived and slowly parked in front of the house then relaxed against my seat, taking in the view of the house. Nothing changed, it was still the same, but I knew that walking into the house would make me feel like a stranger in my own home.

I turned off the car and picked up the stuffed animal and the bouquet of red roses on the passenger seat. I smiled at them and got out of the car then locked the car. I stood for some seconds before I started to make my way toward the front door. When I got to it, I was torn between knocking on the door or walking in. Legally, the house belonged to me and Jackie and seeing the way our relationship was, I needed to knock.

I raised my fist and moved my hand to knock only for the door to swing open. Jackie looked up and visibly stood stiff at the sight of me.

"Lucas?"

I waved the suspended hand at her, and she eyed me up and down before relaxing her features. I could not help but take her in. My heart fluttered just at the sight of her. She was still so beautiful with her cute baby bump. She had a glow on her that made me feel even more attracted to her and if we were still with each other, I could have told her how beautiful she was while kissing every part of her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, breaking my trance.

I blinked. "Uh... I... I came to see you and I got you this."

I thrusted my hand that was holding the stuffed animal and roses at her. She looked at them for a few seconds before smiling and taking them from me. She muttered her appreciation and sniffed the roses, only to gag and cover her mouth. She hunched over and rushed back into the house. I stood in, shocked and worried.

Did the flowers hurt her?

At that, a wave of fear filled me, and I rushed into the house. I ran toward the stairs anf froze when I heard more gagging sounds coming from the kitchen. I ran back and rushed into the kitchen where I saw her leaning against the sink, washing her face. I hesitantly approached her and placed my hand on her back. She raised her body and looked at me through the locks of hair shielding her face.

"Are you okay?" I asked with a fast-beating heart full of fear.

She nodded and I bit the inside of my cheek.

"I thought the morning sickness stopped?" I asked and she moved away from the sink to the island and sat on one of the stools.

"It's due to the fact that I will be in labor any day from now...my body has been having the worst type of fever and restlessness. I've been wanting to throw up for days now... So, thanks for the flowers."

The tension in my chest lessened and I chuckled then sat beside her.

"What are you doing here though?"